Solving Inequalities with TI-89: Help Needed

In summary, the TI-89 calculator may have trouble solving inequalities and may require the user to input two separate equations. However, some users have had success with solving inequalities using the calculator. It is recommended to double check the setup and clear any stored variables before attempting to solve inequalities.
TSN79
I'm having some trouble solving inequalities with the TI-89. Let's say that I want to solve [tex]x^2<1[/tex] The answer should be [tex]<-1,1>[/tex], if I type in solve(x^2<1,x), but that's not what I get. It only returns the inequality itself just as I typed in. What's wrong??

Computer science news on Phys.org
i will have to check the set up but if its all entered correctly make sure you clear your varables so you don't have x stored as something

I don't think that the TI-89 will solve inequality equations. You'll have to separate the inequality into two separate equations and solve them separately.

If the TI-89 does have this function, I am unaware. Just checking my manual it doesn't look like it.

TI 89 is pretty complicated. I had a similar problem and a Person I know that works a t Texas Instrument Company that makes calculators claims it doesn't do inequalities and is a ripoff for what it seems. aerognr is right.good Luck though!:)

This is quite surprising to me because I have a TI-89 Titanium and it can easily solve inequalities. Writing your original query I got: -1<x<1. I was under the impression that the CAS was identical, but apparently they upgraded it.

try :

solve(sign(factor(x^2-1))=-1,x)

1. How can I solve inequalities using a TI-89 calculator?

To solve inequalities using a TI-89 calculator, you can use the built-in "ineq" function. This function allows you to enter the inequality, specify the variable, and solve for the solution set. You can also graph the inequality to visually see the solution.

2. What if my inequality has multiple variables?

If your inequality has multiple variables, you can use the "solve" function on your TI-89 calculator. This function allows you to enter the inequality and specify the variables you want to solve for. The calculator will then provide a solution for those specific variables.

3. Can I solve systems of inequalities with my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can solve systems of inequalities using the "ineq" function on your TI-89 calculator. You will need to enter each inequality separately and use the "and" or "or" operators to connect them. The solution set will then be displayed for the system of inequalities.

4. How do I graph inequalities on my TI-89 calculator?

To graph inequalities on a TI-89 calculator, you can use the built-in "ineq" function. This function allows you to enter the inequality and specify the variable you want to graph. You can also adjust the window settings to get a better visual representation of the inequality.

5. Are there any limitations to solving inequalities with a TI-89 calculator?

While a TI-89 calculator is a powerful tool for solving inequalities, there are some limitations. It may not be able to solve very complex or large systems of inequalities. It also may not be able to handle certain types of inequalities, such as absolute value inequalities. In these cases, manual solving or using other tools may be necessary.