Which way to go with Master's degree in Electrical Engineering

In summary: Your Name] In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's background as a Bulgarian/British citizen with a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering and their decision to become an electrician in the UK due to a lack of proficiency in English. However, after gaining experience in the field, they now wish to return to their previous field of study and are seeking advice on how to find a job as an electrical engineer. Suggestions were provided, including networking, pursuing internships or apprenticeships, highlighting transferable skills, continuously learning and updating skills, and considering entry-level positions.
dgdimov
Hi

I am Bulgarian/British citizen. I graduated in Bulgaria 2001- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering and Electrical Power Engineering. I worked in the field in Bulgaria for a year and I decided to leave for the UK seeking better professional progression. I've got a certificate from UKNARIC/ UK national academic recognition information centre/ confirming that my Master's degree is comparable to British Master's degree in electrical Engineering. After I tried to find a job as an electrical engineer I realized that in order for me to perform my duties i needed better level of speaking and writing English. That's why I decided to become an electrician.
For the last 7 years I've been working as an electrician in the UK. I've done 16 and 17th editions, 2391 Inspection and testing and other electrical courses.
Now after all time I'd like to go back to Electrical Engineering. I keep receiving many calls from employers, but the main problem i am facing is the lack of enough experience.
I would appreciate any possible advice or idea with regards to my next step finding a job as an electrical engineer.

Regards

dgdimov

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear dgdimov,

Thank you for sharing your background and current situation with us. It sounds like you have a strong academic background in electrical engineering and have gained valuable experience as an electrician in the UK. Going back to your previous field of study can be challenging, especially when it comes to gaining enough experience. Here are a few suggestions that may help you in your job search:

1. Network with professionals in the field: Reach out to colleagues, friends, and acquaintances who are working as electrical engineers in the UK. They may have leads on job openings or can provide valuable advice on how to gain more experience in the field.

2. Consider internships or apprenticeships: Many companies offer internship or apprenticeship programs for individuals who are looking to gain experience in a specific field. This could be a great way for you to gain hands-on experience and build your resume.

3. Highlight your transferable skills: As an electrician, you have developed transferable skills such as problem-solving, attention to detail, and technical knowledge that can be applied to an engineering role. Make sure to highlight these skills on your resume and during interviews.

4. Keep learning and updating your skills: The field of electrical engineering is constantly evolving, and it's important to stay updated on the latest technologies and techniques. Consider taking additional courses or certifications to enhance your skills and make yourself more marketable to potential employers.

5. Consider applying for entry-level positions: While you may have significant experience as an electrician, you may need to start at an entry-level position in the field of electrical engineering to gain the necessary experience. Don't be discouraged by this, as it can be a great opportunity to learn and grow within the field.

I hope these suggestions will help you in your job search. Best of luck in your future endeavors as an electrical engineer.

1. What career options are available with a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering?

With a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, you can pursue a career in a variety of fields such as power systems, telecommunications, computer engineering, and robotics. You can also work in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and healthcare.

2. What skills will I gain from a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering?

A Master's degree in Electrical Engineering will equip you with advanced technical skills in areas such as circuit design, signal processing, and control systems. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are essential for a successful career in this field.

3. Is a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering necessary for career advancement?

Having a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering can open up opportunities for career advancement, especially in highly technical roles. It can also increase your chances of getting a higher salary and taking on more challenging projects.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area within Electrical Engineering during my Master's degree?

Yes, most Master's degree programs in Electrical Engineering offer specializations in areas such as power systems, communications, control systems, and microelectronics. You can choose a specialization based on your interests and career goals.

5. What are the admission requirements for a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering?

The admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but most programs require applicants to have a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field. Some programs may also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose outlining your academic and career goals.