Power Plant Control and monitoring

In summary, the speaker is a Mechanical Engineering student who will be doing a summer internship on power plant control and monitoring. They are also looking for ways to use this opportunity to prepare for their final year project and make it stand out in their MS application. They are seeking suggestions for a project or any other useful tasks they can undertake during the internship, particularly in the area of auxiliary power systems.
Urmi Roy
Hi,

I'm doing 2nd year (sophomore year) in Mechanical Engineering. I'm going to do a summer internship on 'Power Plant Control and monitoring' (this subject was assigned to me)...but as you all know, I've got to do an Engineering Project (Final Year Project) later on...so I was wondering if this internship could help me prepare for that too...in any case, I've got to utilise this opportutnity in such a way that it stands out in my SOP when I apply for MS...so could anyone suggest a project or any thing useful I could do with this internship...I mean when I approach the prof, I've got to know exactly I want from him...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about auxiliary power systems...what do you guys think of it?...could I relate it to auxiliary power in planes or even in high mach no. aircraft like scramjet?

1. What is power plant control and monitoring?

Power plant control and monitoring is the process of regulating and supervising the operations of a power plant to ensure safe and efficient production of electricity. This includes monitoring various parameters such as temperature, pressure, and fuel levels, as well as controlling equipment such as turbines, generators, and cooling systems.

2. Why is power plant control and monitoring important?

Power plant control and monitoring is crucial for maintaining the stability and reliability of the power grid. It helps prevent equipment failures, minimize downtime, and ensure the safety of workers and the surrounding environment. It also allows for efficient use of resources and helps optimize the overall performance of the power plant.

3. What technologies are used for power plant control and monitoring?

There are various technologies used for power plant control and monitoring, including supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems, distributed control systems (DCS), and programmable logic controllers (PLC). These technologies allow for real-time monitoring and control of the power plant's operations.

4. How is data collected and analyzed in power plant control and monitoring?

Data is collected through sensors and instruments installed throughout the power plant, which measure parameters such as temperature, pressure, and flow rates. This data is then transmitted to a central control system where it is analyzed and used to make decisions regarding the plant's operations.

5. What are the benefits of using advanced control and monitoring systems in power plants?

Advanced control and monitoring systems offer numerous benefits for power plants, including increased efficiency, improved safety, and reduced maintenance and operational costs. They also allow for remote monitoring and control of the plant, which can improve overall plant management and decision-making processes.