Momentum problem with mass transfer

In summary: So what's the final answer for the speed of the car after 100 seconds?In summary, the sand-spraying locomotive is able to transfer sand into a freight car at a rate of 10 kg/s with a velocity of 5 m/s relative to the locomotive. The car starts from rest with an initial mass of 2000 kg and the engineer maintains a constant distance between the locomotive and the car. Using the momentum equation and integrating the resulting differential equation, the final speed of the car after 100 seconds is approximately 11.5 m/s.
Pi-Bond

Homework Statement

(Kleppner & Kolenkow - Introduction to Mechanics - 3.12)
A sand-spraying locomotive sprays sand horizontally into a freight car situated ahead of it. The locomotive and freight car are not attached. The engineer in the locomotive maintains his speed so that the distance to the freight car is constant. The sand is transferred at a rate dm/dt = 10 kg/s with a velocity of 5 m/s relative to the locomotive. The car starts from rest with an initial mass of 2000 kg. Find its speed after 100 s.

Homework Equations

Momentum equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the mass of the freight car be m'. At some time t, the momentum of the car is given by:

[itex]P(t)=(m'+ t \frac{dm}{dt})u [/itex]

where u is the velocity at that time.

At a time t+dt, the momentum would be:

[itex]P(t+dt)=(m'+ (t+dt)\frac{dm}{dt})(u+du) [/itex]

The momentum change:

[itex]dP=P(t+dt)-P(t)=(m'+t\frac{dm}{dt})u+udm+(m'+t\frac{dm}{dt})du [/itex]

Basically I'm trying to make a differential equation for u. I'm not sure if the above is correct or not, and I also need some other expression for dP to equate this to. I'm assuming that will use the fact that the sand moves at 5 m/s relative to the locomotive and car setup (since they maintain a constant distance). How should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] P(t)=(m'+ t \frac{dm}{dt})u [/tex]
Yep, you got this equation right.
To work out the rate of change of the mometum of the car, you can think of the sand as being made up of lots of small particles, and each time one of them hits the car, their momentum adds to the momentum of the car. Therefore:
[tex] \frac{dP}{dt} = \frac{dm}{dt} (u+v) [/tex]
(where v is the velocity of the sand relative to the locomotive).
Now, you can differentiate your equation for momentum and equate these two equations. Then after rearranging, you will get acceleration of the car as a function of time, which you can integrate to get velocity.

If I differentiate the first equation with respect to time, I get:

[itex]\frac{dP}{dt}=(m'+t\frac{dm}{dt})\frac{du}{dt}[/itex]

But I don't know what m' is, how will equating this expression with the one you mentioned yield a solution then?

That's not quite right, you have to use product rule, since the first bit in brackets contains t.
Also, m' is just the initial mass of the car, which you are given.

Oh right, forgot my own question for a bit. Anyway, the correct expression would then be:

[itex]\frac{dP}{dt}=m'\frac{du}{dt}+u\frac{dm}{dt}+t \frac{dm}{dt}\frac{du}{dt}[/itex]

The differential equation I got was:

[itex]m'\frac{du}{dt}+u\frac{dm}{dt}+t \frac{dm}{dt}\frac{du}{dt}
= u\frac{dm}{dt}+v\frac{dm}{dt}[/itex]

Which gave the solution:

[itex]u=v\ln(m'+t\frac{dm}{dt})[/itex]

Does this seem reasonable?

Yep, that's the same as I got. Qualitatively, it means the acceleration keeps decreasing with time. Which makes sense, because the car's mass keeps increasing.

How do you deal with the fact that the parameters of the ln() function appear to have units (in particular: mass)?

What value do you get for the final velocity (at t = 100s)?

I noticed that later as well, I'm not sure why that's happening. The differential equation I got was dimensionally consistent; it could be expressed as:

[itex]\large \frac{du}{dt}=\frac{v}{m'+t \frac{dm}{dt} } \frac{dm}{dt}[/itex]

I'm sure the integration I'm doing is right, yet why do I get the units of mass?

Let r = dm/dt; It's a constant after all.
[tex]\frac{du}{dt}=\frac{v}{m' + r\;t } r [/tex]
[tex] du = \frac{r\;v}{m' + r\;t} dt [/tex]
[tex] u(t) = \int_0^t \frac{r\;v}{m' + r\;t} dt [/tex]
What do you get for the definite integral?

[itex]\large \int_{0}^{t}\frac{rv}{m'+rt}dt= \frac{rv}{r}\small\ln{(m'+rt)}[/itex]

The same thing?

[tex]u(t) = \int_0^t \frac{r\;v}{m' + r\;t} dt[/tex]
[tex]\large \left. u(t) = ln(m' + r\;t)v \right|_0^t [/tex]

Ah right, what a silly mistake! The right answer is

[itex]u=v\ln{(1+\frac{t}{m'}\frac{dm}{dt})}[/itex]

Thanks!

Ah, yeah I made the same mistake also. thanks gneill.

What is momentum problem with mass transfer?

Momentum problem with mass transfer refers to the study of how mass and momentum are transferred between different phases or components of a fluid system. This can include the transfer of mass and momentum between solid, liquid, and gas phases, as well as within each phase.

What are the key equations used in momentum problem with mass transfer?

The key equations used in momentum problem with mass transfer are the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the conservation of momentum in a fluid, and the mass transfer equations, which describe the transfer of mass between different phases.

What are some common applications of momentum problem with mass transfer?

Momentum problem with mass transfer has many practical applications, such as in the design of chemical reactors, heat exchangers, and separation processes. It is also important in understanding the behavior of fluids in industrial processes, such as in oil and gas production and in environmental engineering.

How is momentum problem with mass transfer related to fluid mechanics?

Momentum problem with mass transfer is closely related to fluid mechanics, as it involves the study of the movement of fluids and the forces that act on them. Understanding the principles of fluid mechanics is essential in solving problems related to momentum and mass transfer.

What are the challenges in solving momentum problem with mass transfer?

Solving momentum problem with mass transfer can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations involved and the nonlinear nature of fluid flow. Additionally, accounting for all the different phases and components in a fluid system can be difficult, making it necessary to simplify the problem or use numerical methods to find a solution.