Torsion Shear of Shaft with Transverse Hole

In summary, the allowable stress (psi) of a shaft with two pin holes on the transverse axis can be calculated using the equation tau = Tc / J, where T is torque, c is the distance from center of gravity to extreme fiber, and J is the polar moment of inertia. The total polar moment of inertia, Jtotal, is equal to the polar moment of a circle (pi*D^4)/32) minus the polar moment of the pin hole (d*D(d^2 + D^2))/12. This can be used to prove the backend of the equation and calculate the allowable stress.
jmart157
Looking to figure out the allowable stress (psi) of a shaft which has two pin holes in it on the transverse axis of the shaft.

tau = allowable stress, psi
T = torque, in-lb
c = distance from center of gravity to extreme fiber
J = polar moment of inertia
D = diameter of the shaft
d = diameter of the pin hole

tau = Tc / J = (T*(D/2)) / (((pi*D^4)/32) - (d*D(d^2 + D^2))/12)

I think this is right. but i don't know why it is right. Can someone please help me prove the backend of the equation? ie: (d*D(d^2 + D^2))/12)

Engineering news on Phys.org
jmart157: I am not yet an expert but whould give some input.

The tau = Tc / J equation is indeed correct

Tc = T*(D/2), which I think you understand

So the J = (((pi*D^4)/32) - (d*D(d^2 + D^2))/12) part I think is where you are struggling...

When looking at the shaft: Jcircle = (pi*D^4)/32) which is the first part
and the hole the pin creates has a square cross sectional area:
Jsquare = (d*D(d^2 + D^2))/12
So the total polar moment of the cross sectional area: Jtotal=Jcircle-Jsquare
Hope this helps, check the attackment that I've put together to help you

Attachments

• Shaft with pin.jpg
    Shaft with pin.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 2,195

1. What is torsion shear of a shaft with a transverse hole?

Torsion shear refers to the stress and deformation that occurs in a shaft when a twisting force is applied to it. When the shaft also has a hole drilled perpendicular to its axis, the resulting stress and deformation are known as torsion shear of a shaft with a transverse hole.

2. What causes torsion shear in a shaft with a transverse hole?

The presence of a transverse hole in the shaft creates a stress concentration point, which amplifies the stress and deformation caused by the applied twisting force. This results in torsion shear in the shaft.

3. How is torsion shear calculated in a shaft with a transverse hole?

Torsion shear can be calculated by using the formula τ = T*[1+(Kt*α)], where τ is the torsion shear stress, T is the applied twisting force, Kt is a factor determined by the dimensions and shape of the hole, and α is the angle of twist.

4. What factors can affect the torsion shear of a shaft with a transverse hole?

The torsion shear in a shaft with a transverse hole can be affected by various factors such as the dimensions and shape of the hole, the material properties of the shaft, the magnitude of the applied twisting force, and the angle of twist.

5. How can torsion shear failure be prevented in a shaft with a transverse hole?

To prevent torsion shear failure in a shaft with a transverse hole, it is important to consider the dimensions and shape of the hole, and the material properties of the shaft during the design process. Reinforcing the area around the hole or using materials with higher strength can also help prevent failure.