Coproduct & Direct Sum: Understanding the Set (1,1,1...)

This inconsistency causes a problem in the definition. In summary, the issue with this definition lies in the lack of a unique map from the set (1, 1, 1, ...) to Y, leading to inconsistencies in the resulting values.
Sumanta
Hi ,

This is not a homework problem as I have long passed out of college. I was trying to understand why or where would the problem arise in the definition of the direct sum for the coproduct/direct sum for the set (1, 1, 1, ...) infinite number of times. I was trying to reason out as follows.

(1, 1, 1, ...)[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] Y

[itex]\uparrow[/itex]

f[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex] YPls note that the Y is the same as I cannot write the angular arrow.

Now if I say that f[itex]_{i}[/itex] acting on (e[itex]_{i}[/itex]) maps it to ( 0, 0, ...1 at the ith coordinate , 0, ...) then what is the place where I am making a mistake. The problem as I see is that either the map from the set (1, 1, 1, ...) to Y is either not unique or map from f[itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex] Y does not give the same value as the other path. I am really not sure which is the one and why.

Thx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your helpThe problem with the definition of the direct sum for the coproduct/direct sum for the set (1, 1, 1, ...) is that there is no unique map from the set (1, 1, 1, ...) to Y. The map from f_{i} to Y does not give the same value as the other path because each element in the set can be mapped to a different element in Y, which will result in a different value.

1. What is a coproduct?

A coproduct is a mathematical concept that refers to the union of two or more sets. It is also known as a disjoint union or a sum. In set theory, the coproduct of two sets A and B is denoted as A+B and is defined as the set of all elements that are either in A or in B (or in both).

2. How is a coproduct different from a direct sum?

A direct sum is a special type of coproduct that is defined for algebraic structures, such as vector spaces or groups. It is denoted as A⊕B and is defined as the set of all ordered pairs (a,b) where a is an element of A and b is an element of B. In other words, a direct sum combines the elements of two sets in a specific way, while a coproduct simply combines the elements without any specific structure.

3. What is the significance of understanding the set (1,1,1...)

The set (1,1,1...) is an important concept in the study of coproducts and direct sums. It represents an infinite sequence of 1's, which can be used to construct a specific type of coproduct known as the free product. This set is also used to define the direct sum of countably many copies of a given set. Understanding this set can help in understanding the properties and applications of coproducts and direct sums.

4. Can coproducts and direct sums be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, coproducts and direct sums have many applications in different fields of science and engineering. In computer science, they are used to model data structures and manipulate data efficiently. In physics, they are used to describe the composition of physical systems. In economics, they are used to model production and consumption processes. These are just a few examples of how coproducts and direct sums can be applied in real-world problems.

5. Are there any other related concepts to coproducts and direct sums?

Yes, there are several related concepts, such as products, intersections, and unions. Products are the dual concept of coproducts, where the elements are combined in a specific way. Intersections are similar to products, but they only keep the elements that are common to all sets. Unions, on the other hand, are similar to coproducts, but they may contain duplicate elements. These concepts are all important in understanding the relationships between sets and their elements.