General Relativity Problem Questions

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving connection coefficients, partial differentiation, and integrals. The person asking for help is struggling with understanding the 2D Kepler form and how to solve the problem using polar coordinates. They also mention a question about the metric for a plane and the possibility that it may have been a botched question. The person asking for help is seeking guidance and clarification on how to solve the problem.
Admetus

Homework Statement

[1]
img001.jpg

(Low quality scan unfortunately: (1) contains Einstein notation for partial differentiation and (2) Einstein notation for the covariant derivative. e(r) and e(θ) are the components of v.)

[2]
img002.jpg

[3]
Integral of (1-2m/r)^-1/2 dr, should be recognisable from Schrodinger’s solution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem with the first [1] lies in the lack of knowledge of connection coefficients; I can happily deal with these in the 3 dimensional form but not in the unfamiliar 2D Kepler form.
Part (1) was achieved, it is simple partial differentiation. Part (2) I couldn't, I was unable to work backwards due to no sign of partial differentiation in the final answers. Our lecturer only went over a single example of connection coefficients in a 3D case.

[2] is more of "how I should proceed" question, with both x^1 and x^2 are both skewed by an angle theta. I can do the diagram and mark those covariant components, but otherwise am still scratching my head in regard to the ds^2 equations. It may actually be simple vector maths, and this I submit this question gingerly too.

[3] Wondering how to do this integral, just need to know if there are approximations (or series) that I should use, turning the integral into something more palatable!I apologise in advance for any difficulty in answering these questions, which may in fact require some effort in providing the working. Of course, the help would be gratefully appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Admetus said:
My problem with the first [1] lies in the lack of knowledge of connection coefficients; I can happily deal with these in the 3 dimensional form but not in the unfamiliar 2D Kepler form.
Part (1) was achieved, it is simple partial differentiation. Part (2) I couldn't, I was unable to work backwards due to no sign of partial differentiation in the final answers. Our lecturer only went over a single example of connection coefficients in a 3D case.

With respect to polar coordinates, what is the metric for a plane?

I was thinking the same and thought it might be a diagonal metric that I was unaware of. All the information I have available to me is in question [1] is what I have scanned. It may be worth noting that there is a possibility that this was a botched question - the lecturer did mention once that one of the questions in the problem sheets was not doable. It was most likely this one.

The question is doable. I am trying to guide you gently and slowly along the path.

Let's back up a step. With respect to Cartesian coordinates, what is the metric for a plane?

In that case I have written down:

e(r) cos(θ) sin(θ) e(x)
e(θ) -rsin(θ) rcos(θ) e(y)

2x1matrix = (2x2matrix)(2x1matrix)

Not aware of an easier way to represent matrices but hope that is clear enough.

I'm have been asking for expressions for [itex]ds^2[/itex] for a plane, either in Cartesian coordinates, or in polar coordinates.

What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes gravity as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

What are some key concepts of General Relativity?

Some key concepts of General Relativity include the principle of equivalence, which states that the effects of gravity are equivalent to the effects of acceleration; spacetime as a 4-dimensional fabric that can be curved by the presence of mass and energy; and the concept of geodesics, which are the paths that objects follow in curved spacetime.

What are some practical applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, which uses the theory to account for time dilation due to differences in gravitational fields; gravitational lensing, which is the bending of light around massive objects; and the prediction of gravitational waves, which were recently observed for the first time.

What is the difference between General Relativity and Special Relativity?

Special Relativity, also developed by Einstein, deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while General Relativity extends these laws to non-inertial reference frames, including those affected by gravity. Additionally, Special Relativity does not take into account the curvature of spacetime, while this is a key concept in General Relativity.

What are some current research topics in General Relativity?

Some current research topics in General Relativity include the study of black holes and their properties, the search for a unified theory of gravity and quantum mechanics, and the investigation of the early universe and the role of gravity in its formation and evolution.