Understanding Bending Moments and Second Moment of Area | Calculation Analysis

In summary: There is no direct stress due to bending because the moment of inertia of the beam is not changing. The only strain that is occurring is due to the shear force. The shear force is a force that acts perpendicular to the direction of motion. It is created when the beam is force to deform in a certain direction.
Dcoz
Hi, I just wanted to know if I have answeedthis question correctly, if not where I have gone wrong. Thank you.

[PLAIN]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6245/secondmomentofarea.jpg

From what I have calculated, none are acceptable, but my calculations may be wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are wrong because the bending moments you calculated are incorrect. In order to calculate the moment correctly, set up a proper shear force diagram and construct the moment diagram from it, or use a table which contains the bending moment formulas for a simply supported beam.

Thank you for the reply. We've been shown how to make a shear force diagram, but not a moment diagram. This was course work, which he told us was correct except that most of us had forgotten to include the weight of the beam itself. I've tried to correct it by factoring the weight into it. Without the weight of the beam I=1.59 cm^4.

If you know how to construct the shear force diagram, the bending moment diagram is fairly simple to construct. Start at the left end of the shear force diagram and calculate the cumulative area under the shear curve and plot it on the bending moment diagram as you move along the beam to the right support. If the shear is in N and the distance along the beam is in meters, the units of the moment curve will naturally be in N-m. Remember to keep the sign of the areas in the correct reference system, and a properly constructed moment diagram will begin and end at 0 for a simply supported beam.

Thank you. I watched a few youtube videos showing how to draw one, but I'm not sure how it would help me get the right answer. Also is it not possible to answer ths question without one?

If you can't calculate the correct bending moment, how can you determine the direct stress due to bending?

What is the purpose of calculating bending moments and second moment of area?

The purpose of calculating bending moments and second moment of area is to understand and analyze the structural integrity and stability of a material or object when subjected to external forces. This information is crucial in designing and building structures that can withstand the forces they will be exposed to.

What is the definition of bending moment?

Bending moment is the measure of the internal force that causes a material or object to bend or deform under an applied load. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the point of application to the point of support or rotation.

How is the second moment of area related to bending moment?

The second moment of area, also known as the moment of inertia, is a measure of how an object's cross-sectional area is distributed about a specific axis. It directly affects the bending stiffness of an object, and therefore, its resistance to bending moments.

What factors affect the bending moment and second moment of area?

The bending moment and second moment of area are affected by the material properties, cross-sectional shape, and geometry of an object. Additionally, the magnitude and direction of the applied load also play a significant role in determining these values.

How are bending moments and second moment of area calculated?

Bending moments and second moment of area can be calculated using mathematical equations and integration methods. Alternatively, they can also be found using specialized software or by performing physical experiments on a physical model of the object.