Help : MS in Physics after Engineering in Mechanical

In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineer with two years of experience in CAD and manufacturing, who is planning to pursue a Master's degree in physics. They are seeking advice on whether their engineering background would qualify them for a physics program and if they can make up for any lacking qualifications before starting the program. They have also expressed a strong interest in astronomy and are looking for suggestions from someone with experience in this field. However, the speaker has not provided enough specific information for the other person to offer constructive advice.
_shankybro_
I am a Mechanical Engineer with two years of experience in CAD and manufacturing domain. I am planning for my MS. I have always been inclined towards physics. I want it to be the subject I take up for MS. What would you advise ? I don't know what field I would be suitable for, after I complete the program, for all I know, I would be in love with my Higher Studies. Please give appropriate constructive suggestions . BTW am extremely interested in astronomy and consider myself to have it in me what it would take to cope up with the syllabi.
Would love to hear from someone who already has done it this way :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are likely not qualified for admission to a graduate program in physics. You will need to do a lot of catch up before you have a chance of getting in.

fss thanks for your reply. I would like to know on what grounds did you conclude I would not be Qualified enough for the program. Again, this is not like asking why you said that, but I would seriously like to have your opinion so that I could make a fair judgement of my own. Again, thanks a lot for replying:-)

Engineering students (especially undergraduate engineering students) generally do not take the same level of mathematics or high-level undergraduate physics classes that would qualify them for a master's program.

Can that be made up for by taking some courses before the graduate program begins? Coz I have enquired with some program admins in the US universities and they said there are people from Engg backgrounds who are pursuing (have pursued) MS in Physics at their universities.

It depends on the course, and the requirements of the institution you want to attend. So far you haven't offered any specific, useful information to comment past vagaries.

1. Can I pursue a Master's in Physics after completing my undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's in Physics after completing an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering. Many graduate programs in physics accept students from diverse backgrounds, including engineering.

2. Will I have to take extra courses to bridge the gap between engineering and physics?

It depends on the specific program and your individual background. Some graduate programs may require you to take additional courses to fill any gaps in your knowledge, while others may not. It is best to research the specific program you are interested in to determine their requirements.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with an MS in Physics after engineering in Mechanical?

A Master's degree in Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, energy, electronics, and materials science. Some common job titles for individuals with this background include research scientist, data analyst, and technical consultant.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Master's in Physics after an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering?

The length of time it takes to complete a Master's in Physics after an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering can vary depending on the program and your academic background. Typically, it can take 2-3 years to complete a full-time Master's program.

5. Is there any financial support available for pursuing a Master's in Physics after engineering in Mechanical?

Many graduate programs offer financial support in the form of teaching or research assistantships, scholarships, and grants. It is best to research the specific program you are interested in and inquire about their funding opportunities.