High School Senior Seeking Advice on Electrical Engineering

In summary, a high school senior who is interested in engineering is taking Calculus and honors physics and earning solid grades. They are unsure about their future and are considering electrical engineering. They are looking for information on what electrical engineers do on a typical day and whether they enjoy their job. A physicist who is now working as a design engineer shares their experience of designing electronic circuits and using physics to solve electromagnetic problems. They also recommend visiting ieee.org for more information on engineering career options.
bjr_jyd15
I'm a high school senior who is interested in engineering. I am taking Calculus and honors physics and earn solid grades.

I am helpless :confused: when it comes to my future though. I have no idea what field to go into. I hear Electrical engineering has a good outlook but I have no idea about electrical stuff or what kind of jobs are out there.

If anyone out there is an EE and can tell me the kinds of things they do in a typical day, and whether they enjoy their job, I'd be grateful.

Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I'm a Physicist by education, I'm working as a design engineer. My main job is to design electronic circuits including DSPs, FPGAs, microcontrollers and multilayer pcbs. Also, sometimes I have to program microcontrollers and FPGAs. Physics helps me in solving electromagnetic portion of electronics, such as transformers. I really enjoy my work.

Interested in becoming an engineer? There are many more choices than you have heard. Visit ieee.org to learn more, they have a students section for curious people like you.

1. What courses should I take in high school to prepare for studying electrical engineering?

To prepare for studying electrical engineering in college, it is recommended to take courses in math (especially calculus and trigonometry), physics, and computer science. These subjects will provide a solid foundation for understanding the principles of electrical engineering.

2. Is it necessary to have prior programming experience before studying electrical engineering?

While prior programming experience can be helpful, it is not necessary. Many electrical engineering programs will have introductory programming courses to teach students the necessary skills. However, having some exposure to programming before college can be beneficial.

3. What types of internships or work experience should I pursue as a high school senior interested in electrical engineering?

It is helpful to pursue internships or work experience in fields related to electrical engineering, such as electronics, computer programming, or robotics. This will give you hands-on experience and a better understanding of the field.

4. How can I stand out as a strong candidate for an electrical engineering program?

To stand out as a strong candidate for an electrical engineering program, it is important to have a strong academic record in math and science courses. Participating in extracurricular activities related to engineering, such as robotics clubs or math competitions, can also showcase your interest and skills in the field.

5. What are some career options for someone with a degree in electrical engineering?

There are a variety of career options for those with a degree in electrical engineering. Some common roles include electrical engineer, control systems engineer, power systems engineer, and electronics engineer. Other potential career paths include working in the telecommunications, aerospace, or energy industries.