Go straight to calc based or finish non calc

• Thread starter en bloc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about registering for the spring semester at a community college. The person is wondering whether they should take a calculus-based physics course or finish a non-calculus based one. They are currently enrolled in a non-calc based general physics course and are still working on finishing calc I. They provide descriptions of the courses and ask for any comments on their plan to enroll in PHY112. The conversation also touches on the topics covered in calc I and the prerequisites and corequisites for the physics courses. The expert summarizer concludes that the person should be fine as long as they have the required pre-courses and notes any corequisites that may be necessary.
en bloc
It's about time to register for the spring semester in my cc, and I'm not sure whether i should enroll in calc based physics course or finish a second non calc based one. In this semester I am enrolled in a non-calc based general physics course, because I am still working on finishing calc I. I provided the descriptions below. From what you know, is it a bad idea to jump straight into a calc based physics? It's not about my academic background or capabilities, but about missing out on anything.

As of right now, I'm planning to enroll in phy 112. Any comments?

General Physics I (PHY111) 4 Credits

Includes motion, energy, and properties of matter. Note: PHY111 is recommended for preprofessional and suggested for certain other majors. Students may receive credit for only one of the following: PHY111 or PHY111AA. Prerequisites: MAT182, or MAT187, or one year high school Trigonometry with a grade of "C" or better, or permission of Department or Division.

General Physics II (PHY112) 4 Credits

Includes electricity, electromagnetism, and modern physics. Prerequisites: PHY105 or PHY111.

University Physics I (PHY115) 5 Credits

General physics course using calculus to develop the principles of mechanics and thermodynamics. Recommended for majors in the sciences and mathematics. Required for Engineering majors. Prerequisites: MAT220 or MAT221 or department consent. Corequisites: MAT230 or MAT231. One year High School physics or PHY111 and PHY112 is strongly recommended.

University Physics II (PHY116) 5 Credits

Principles of electricity, magnetism, waves, and optics. Required for Engineering majors. Prerequisites: PHY115 and (MAT230 or MAT231). Corequisites: MAT241.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you cover integral calculus in calc I? Ofter times calc I is primarily differentiation.

sandy.bridge said:
Do you cover integral calculus in calc I? Ofter times calc I is primarily differentiation.

integral calculus of functions of one variable in calc I.

As long as you have the required pre courses you should be fine. Additionally, note any corequisites that are required for that course.

I would recommend that you finish the non-calc based physics course before jumping into a calc based one. Physics is a subject that builds upon itself, and having a strong foundation in the basics is crucial for understanding more complex concepts. Additionally, it is important to have a thorough understanding of calculus before tackling calc based physics, as it is heavily reliant on mathematical calculations. By finishing the non-calc based course first, you will have a better understanding of the principles and concepts that will make the transition to calc based physics smoother and more manageable. It is also worth considering if you are planning on pursuing a major or career in a field that heavily utilizes physics, as the calc based course may be more beneficial in the long run. Ultimately, it is important to make a decision that aligns with your academic goals and abilities. I would suggest discussing your options with your academic advisor for more personalized guidance.

1. Should I go straight to calculus-based science courses or finish non-calculus based courses first?

It ultimately depends on your academic goals and strengths. If you are planning on pursuing a career in a field that heavily relies on calculus, such as engineering or physics, it may be beneficial to go straight to calculus-based courses. However, if you struggle with math or are pursuing a different field, it may be better to finish non-calculus based courses first to build a strong foundation.

2. Will skipping non-calculus based courses affect my understanding of calculus-based courses?

While it may be challenging at first, skipping non-calculus based courses will not necessarily affect your understanding of calculus-based courses. However, it is important to make sure you have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts in algebra and trigonometry before moving on to calculus.

3. Are there any benefits to completing non-calculus based courses before calculus-based ones?

Completing non-calculus based courses first can help you build a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills, which can be beneficial when tackling more complex calculus concepts. It can also give you a better understanding of how calculus is applied in real-world scenarios.

4. Can taking both types of courses at the same time be beneficial?

Taking both types of courses simultaneously can be beneficial for some students, as it allows them to see the connections between the two and reinforce their understanding of both types of math. However, it can also be overwhelming for others, so it is important to consider your workload and abilities before doing so.

5. How can I determine if I am ready to move on to calculus-based courses?

If you are unsure whether you are ready to move on to calculus-based courses, it may be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or take a placement test. It is also important to assess your understanding of fundamental math concepts and see if you feel confident in your ability to handle more complex mathematical concepts.