Find all the bound currents. What is the net bound current flowing down the wire?

In summary, bound currents are electric currents that are confined to a specific region or material. They can be found by integrating the surface current density over the surface of the material. The net bound current flowing down a wire can be calculated by taking the difference between the total bound current entering and leaving the wire. This net bound current can affect the magnetic field surrounding the wire and is an important concept in electromagnetism.
blueyellow

Homework Statement

A current I flows down a long straight wire of radius a. The wire is made of linear material with susceptibility chi(subscript m), and the current is distributed uniformly.

i) what is the magnetic field a distance s from the axis?
ii) Find all the bound currents. What is the net bound current flowing down the wire?

The Attempt at a Solution

i) I found a similar homework question on this website:

http://maxwell.uncc.edu/gjgbur/coursepages/4231assets/homework11answers.pdf

which says that B=[mu Is/(2pi a^2)]phi-hat
ii) J(subscript M)= curl M
= [(chi(subscript M) I)/(pi a^2)] z-hat

integral of [(chi(subscript M) I)/(pi a^2)] z-hat dS
= loop integral of [(chi(subscript M) I)/(pi a^2)] z-hat. dl
=0

why does J(subscript M) have to be integrated over the surface, though?

j(subscript m)=M cross n-hat
=[- chi(subscript M) Is/(2 pi a^2)]z-hat ?

why does http://maxwell.uncc.edu/gjgbur/coursepages/4231assets/homework11answers.pdf
say that j(subscripr m) has to be integrated over the perimeter? How do I do this? And why is the result of it supposed to be zero? Please help

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Let me address each of your concerns separately:

i) Your solution for the magnetic field a distance s from the axis is correct. This formula can be derived using the Biot-Savart law, which relates the magnetic field at a point to the current element passing through that point.

ii) To find the bound currents, we need to use the definition of magnetization, which is the magnetic moment per unit volume of a material. In this case, since the wire is made of linear material, we can write the magnetization as M = chi(subscript m)H, where H is the applied magnetic field. Using this definition, we can then find the bound currents by taking the curl of the magnetization, as you have done. This gives us an expression for the bound current density J(subscript M) at any point in the wire.

Now, to find the net bound current flowing down the wire, we need to integrate this current density over the entire surface of the wire. This is because the bound current is distributed over the entire volume of the wire and not just on the surface. The result of this integral should give us the total bound current flowing down the wire.

The reason why the result of the integral is zero is due to the fact that the magnetization is uniform throughout the wire and there is no net current flowing in the wire. This means that for every bound current flowing in one direction, there is an equal and opposite bound current flowing in the opposite direction, resulting in a net current of zero.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are bound currents?

Bound currents are electric currents that are induced in a material due to an external magnetic field. They occur in materials such as dielectrics, insulators, and magnetic materials.

2. How do you find all the bound currents?

To find all the bound currents, you can use the Ampere's law, which states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the sum of the enclosed currents. By applying this law to different surfaces and loops, you can determine the bound currents in a material.

3. What is the net bound current?

The net bound current is the sum of all the bound currents flowing in a specific direction. It can be calculated by adding the individual bound currents, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

4. How is the net bound current affected by the wire?

The wire itself does not have any bound currents. However, the net bound current can be influenced by the wire's shape, material, and the external magnetic field. The wire may act as a boundary for the bound currents in nearby materials, causing them to flow in a certain direction.

5. What is the significance of finding bound currents?

Bound currents are essential in understanding the magnetic properties of materials and their response to external magnetic fields. Knowing the bound currents can also help in designing and optimizing devices such as transformers, motors, and generators.