How to Find the Voltage Across a Capacitor in an RLC Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit. It is mentioned that there is an equation, V(t) = i(t)R + (1/C) int_0^t i(u)du + L di(t)/dt, that can be used to find the voltage across the capacitor. It is also noted that if the battery is a constant voltage source, the voltage across the capacitor should be that voltage after a few seconds. For an alternating current source, another equation must be solved.
dancingmonkey
My question is how do I find the voltage across a capacitor? I have an RLC circuit with a switch and battery. It only gives me the values for the battery, L, C, and R.

My main question is, is there an equation or something to find the voltage across a capacitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it connected in series? If so, according to Kirchhoff, V(t) = i(t)R + (1/C) int_0^t i(u)du + L di(t)/dt

Solve that equation and you are done.

If the battery is a constant voltage source (direct current), the voltage across the capacitor should be that voltage if you wait a sufficiently long time (typically a few seconds will do the trick, if the inductance is not too high).

If it is an alternating current source, you will have to solve the equation posted by Termotanque.

1. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two closely related phenomena. Electricity is the flow of electric charge, typically through a conductive material like a wire. Magnetism, on the other hand, is the force exerted by magnets or magnetic fields on electrically charged particles. While electricity is caused by the movement of charged particles, magnetism is caused by the alignment of these particles.

2. How are electricity and magnetism related?

Electricity and magnetism are related through the concept of electromagnetism. This refers to the interaction between electrically charged particles and magnetic fields. When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a magnetic field around the conductor. Similarly, a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a nearby conductor. This relationship between electricity and magnetism has many practical applications, such as electric motors and generators.

3. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed path through which electricity can flow. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery or generator, conductors (wires) to carry the electricity, and a load, which is the device or appliance that uses the electricity. The flow of electricity in a circuit can be controlled by switches, and the amount of electricity flowing through the circuit is determined by the voltage and resistance of the components.

4. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent, temporary, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets are made of materials that retain their magnetism without an external magnetic field, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. Temporary magnets, such as paperclips or nails, can become magnetized when in the presence of a strong magnetic field, but lose their magnetic properties over time. Electromagnets are made by wrapping a wire around an iron core and passing an electric current through it, creating a temporary magnetic field.

5. How does electricity affect the human body?

Electricity can have both beneficial and harmful effects on the human body. Our nervous system uses electrical signals to control our body's functions, and electricity is used in medical procedures such as electrocardiograms and electroconvulsive therapy. However, exposure to high levels of electricity, such as from lightning strikes or electric shocks, can cause burns, nerve damage, and even death. It is important to handle electricity safely and follow proper precautions, such as using insulated tools and turning off power sources before working with electrical equipment.