Problem involving square / square root of a complex number

In summary, the problem asks for the value of n such that z^{1/2}=n+i. Using the information that arg(z) = \frac{\pi}{3}, we can find the value of n by taking the arctan of the two arguments.
shillist
Homework Statement
[itex]z = (n + i)^{2}[/itex]

[itex]n[/itex] is a positive real number, and [itex]arg(z) = \frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]

Find the value of [itex]n[/itex].

The attempt at a solution

I am reviewing old problem sets from years past, and came across this problem that appears pretty simple. I have my old answer as [itex]n=\sqrt{3}[/itex], which I can verify numerically as the correct answer. The problem is that I no longer remember the solution, and think I am missing a simple solution to this. We know the following:

[itex]z^{1/2} = n + i[/itex]
[itex]arg(n + i) = arctan(\frac{1}{n})[/itex]
[itex]tan(arg(z)) = \sqrt{3}[/itex]

I think there must be some way to compare the arguments of the 2 sides and use the given fact that [itex]arg(z) = \frac{\pi}{3}[/itex] for a simple solution, but I don't see what it is. I am not sure how to deal with the square in the original problem statement, or the square root in my first equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
If x is a complex number, how is arg(x) related to arg(x^2)? exp(it)^2=exp(2it), right?

Expand the right-hand side of the equation and compare the tangent of the arguments of both sides.

ehild

So in my case:
[itex]arg(z^{1/2})=\frac{1}{2}arg(z)[/itex]
Then if we take [itex]z^{1/2}=n+i[/itex] and set the argument of each side equal, we have:
[itex]arg(z^{1/2})=arg(n+i)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{\pi}{3}=arctan(\frac{1}{n})[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\pi}{6} = arctan(\frac{1}{n})[/itex]
Taking the tangent of both sides:
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}=\frac{1}{n}[/itex]
Thus:
[itex]n=\sqrt{3}[/itex]

shillist said:
So in my case:
[itex]arg(z^{1/2})=\frac{1}{2}arg(z)[/itex]
Then if we take [itex]z^{1/2}=n+i[/itex] and set the argument of each side equal, we have:
[itex]arg(z^{1/2})=arg(n+i)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{\pi}{3}=arctan(\frac{1}{n})[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\pi}{6} = arctan(\frac{1}{n})[/itex]
Taking the tangent of both sides:
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}=\frac{1}{n}[/itex]
Thus:
[itex]n=\sqrt{3}[/itex]

That's it. We can be a little bit sloppy about 2*pi factors in the arg because we know that 0<arg(1+n)<pi/2.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you find the square of a complex number?

To find the square of a complex number, you simply multiply the number by itself. For example, if the complex number is a + bi, its square would be (a + bi) * (a + bi) = a^2 - b^2 + 2abi.

3. How do you find the square root of a complex number?

To find the square root of a complex number, you can use the formula z = √(a + bi) = ±(√(r) + i√(r)), where r = √(a^2 + b^2) and i is the imaginary unit. Alternatively, you can convert the complex number into polar form and take the square root of the modulus and half the argument.

4. What is the relationship between the square and the square root of a complex number?

The square and square root of a complex number have an inverse relationship, meaning that taking the square root of a complex number is the inverse operation of squaring it. This means that if you square a complex number and then take the square root of the result, you will get back the original complex number.

5. How are complex numbers used in problem solving?

Complex numbers are used in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving quantities that have both real and imaginary components. They are particularly useful in solving problems related to electricity, magnetism, and quantum mechanics. They can also be used to represent and analyze wave phenomena, such as sound and light waves.