Mathematica FindRoot exploration of parameter space

In summary, Mathematica FindRoot is a powerful built-in function in Mathematica used for finding the roots of equations. It uses numerical methods and can handle both single-variable and multi-variable equations, including complex ones. It can be used to explore the parameter space of mathematical models by finding roots for different parameter values. However, it has limitations such as only finding a single root and requiring a close initial guess for a solution.
NRedacted
I am solving three non-linear equations in three variables (H0D,H0S and H1S) using FindRoot. In addition to the three variables of interest, there are four parameters in these equations that I would like to be able to vary. My parameters and the range in which I want to vary them are as follows:
Code:
$CF \in \{0,15\}$,$CR \in \{0,8\}$,$T \in \{0,0.35\}$,$H1R \in \{40,79\}$

The problem is that my non-linear system may not have any solutions for part of this parameter range. What I basically want to ask is if there is a smart way to find out exactly what part of my parameter range admits real solutions.

I could run a FindRoot inside a loop but because of non-linearity, FindRoot is very sensitive to initial conditions so frequently error messages could be because of bad initial conditions rather than absence of a solution.

Is there a way for me to find out what parameter space works, short of plugging 10^4 combinations of parameter values by hand and playing around with the initial conditions and hoping that FindRoot gives me a solution?

Thanks a lot,

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem. Finding solutions to non-linear equations can be a challenging task, especially when there are multiple variables and parameters involved. One approach you could take is to use a numerical method such as a root-finding algorithm to systematically search for solutions within your parameter range.

One possible solution is to use a grid search method, where you discretize your parameter space into a grid and then systematically test different combinations of parameter values. This approach can be computationally intensive, but it can provide a comprehensive overview of the parameter space and identify regions where solutions exist.

Another option is to use a global optimization algorithm, such as genetic algorithms or simulated annealing, which are specifically designed to handle non-linear problems with multiple variables and parameters. These algorithms search for an optimal solution by exploring different regions of the parameter space and can often find solutions even in cases where traditional root-finding methods fail.

Additionally, you could try varying the initial conditions for your FindRoot algorithm to see if that helps to identify solutions. You could also consider using a different root-finding algorithm, as some may be more robust or better suited for your specific problem.

In summary, there are several potential approaches you could take to find solutions to your non-linear system within your parameter range. I would recommend exploring different options and seeing which one works best for your specific problem. Good luck!

1. What is Mathematica FindRoot?

Mathematica FindRoot is a built-in function in the Mathematica software that is used to find the roots of a given equation or system of equations. It is a powerful tool for exploring the parameter space of mathematical models.

2. How does Mathematica FindRoot work?

Mathematica FindRoot uses numerical methods to find the roots of equations. It starts with an initial guess for the root and then iteratively improves the guess until it reaches a satisfactory solution. It can handle both single-variable and multi-variable equations.

3. Can Mathematica FindRoot handle complex equations?

Yes, Mathematica FindRoot can handle complex equations as long as the initial guess and the solution are also complex numbers. It uses complex numerical methods to solve these equations.

4. How can I use Mathematica FindRoot to explore the parameter space of a model?

To explore the parameter space of a model, you can use Mathematica FindRoot to find the roots of the model's equations for different values of the parameters. This can help you understand how the model behaves as the parameters change and identify interesting regions of the parameter space.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica FindRoot for parameter space exploration?

One limitation of using Mathematica FindRoot for parameter space exploration is that it can only find a single root for a given set of equations. If there are multiple roots, it will only find one of them. Additionally, it may not be able to find a solution if the initial guess is too far from the actual root.