Can you recommend me a good book?

• Thread starter elips
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: The book you're looking for may be Schaum's Outline series, which covers most of the topics but isn't comprehensive.
elips
Can you recommend me a good accompanying book on a wide range of topics that include: the nature and propagation of light, geometric optics and optical instruments, interference, diffraction, relativity, photons, electrons & atoms, the wave nature of particles, quantum mechanics, atomic structure, molecules & condensed matter, nuclear physics, particle physics & cosmology.

I need a really good accompanying book that has lots of solved questions by which I can practice what I've learnt... It can also have a solutions manual, so what's important for me is that it contains lots of challenging questions and it has a neat and easy-to-understand narration.

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no one book covers all topics while providing lots of solved examples.
Try Schaum's Outline series.

Modern Physics by Serway Moses and Moyer might be ok depending on what you're really looking for (supplement for a class? GRE prep? self teaching?).

I wouldn't describe it as challenging nor advanced, but it covers most of the stuff you listed and as far as I know there's a solutions manual if you'd ever run into any trouble. (a solid calculus physics overview + intro to ODEs and vectors is all you'd need for this book).

If you're looking for something along the lines of texts to aid with Physics GRE prep, then I give this a gold star, especially if you can pick up an older edition for $10-20. It has loads of questions (with odd answers in the back) that would be covering the depth of what you'd encounter on the GRE.

If you're looking for something more advanced, uhh, like what was said earlier: you're probably not going to find advanced material on all those topics from a single source. Good luck in looking and hopefully the Modern Physics text will work for your needs, I definitely liked it for additional GRE prep although I didn't really do much "learning" from it, from what I did read, it looked like it was well written.

Last edited:
I need this book as a supplement for a class that I'll take next semester. Therefore, I need it basically for self-study so that, I can feel myself prepared for the upcoming semester and I can get good grades...

elips said:
I need this book as a supplement for a class that I'll take next semester. Therefore, I need it basically for self-study so that, I can feel myself prepared for the upcoming semester and I can get good grades...
What book does the class use?

elips said:
the nature and propagation of light, geometric optics and optical instruments, interference, diffraction,

Depending on the level you want, either a typical first-year intro physics book (Halliday/Resnick, Serway, et al.), or an intermediate/advanced undergraduate optics text like Hecht.

relativity, photons, electrons & atoms, the wave nature of particles, quantum mechanics, atomic structure, molecules & condensed matter, nuclear physics, particle physics & cosmology.

Perhaps a second-year intro modern physics book like Taylor/Zafiratos/Dubson, or Ohanian, or Serway/Moses/Moyer.

I don't think you'll find both sets of topics in significant depth in one book.

1. What genre of books do you recommend?

I recommend books in a variety of genres, including fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, mystery, and more. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and interests.

2. Can you suggest a specific book or author?

I can definitely suggest some great books or authors based on your preferences. Do you have a specific genre or topic in mind?

3. How do I know if the book is good?

There are a few ways to determine if a book is good. You can read reviews from other readers, check ratings on book review websites, or even read a sample of the book before purchasing.

4. Is there a specific age group that the book is targeted towards?

Some books may have an intended age group or reading level, but many books can be enjoyed by readers of all ages. It's always best to check the description or reviews to get a better idea of the target audience.

5. Do you have any personal recommendations?

I have read and enjoyed many books, but it's important to keep in mind that everyone's taste in books is different. I would be happy to suggest some of my personal favorites, but I also encourage you to explore different genres and authors to find your own favorites.