Vectors Perpendicular to Plane: nhat

In summary, the conversation discusses finding vectors perpendicular and parallel to a given plane, with the assumption that the plane is given by the equation z= ax+ by+ c. The set of vectors perpendicular to this plane would be any non-zero multiple of the normal vector [nx, ny, nz]. To find the set of unit vectors parallel to the plane, one can start with the dot product equation T dot N = 0 and solve for T in terms of the normal vector coefficients. Another way to find vectors parallel to the plane is to use the fact that any vector in the plane is parallel to the plane and can be written as a linear combination of basis vectors \vec{i}+ a\vec{k} and \vec{j
theneedtoknow
If I have a vector nhat = [nx, ny, nz] which is normal to some plane, how can I write the vectors (I assume there are infinitely many) which are perpendicular to that plane?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Well, normal is perpendicular. So the set of vectors perpendicular to that plane would be any non-zero multiple of [itex]\hat{n}[/itex].

Char. Limit said:
Well, normal is perpendicular. So the set of vectors perpendicular to that plane would be any non-zero multiple of [itex]\hat{n}[/itex].

Sorry, not thinking very clearly. I meant to type the set of unit vectors which are PARALLEL to that same plane

Ah, well that is different. We need to find the set of all vectors normal to our normal vector. Now, one requirement of normality is that the dot-product be zero, i.e.

[tex]\vec{T} \cdot \hat{n} = 0[/tex]

I use T here because any vector that's normal to the normal will be tangent to the plane. Now, with that...

hm. This will require a bit more thought. I'll be right back. In the meantime, hopefully someone who has already figured out the answer will stop by!

All right, I'm back and I've figured it out. Start with T dot N = 0, which we know to be true. Expand this out to get:

[tex]T_1 n_x + T_2 n_y + T_3 n_z = 0[/tex]

[tex]T_1 = - T_2 \frac{n_y}{n_x} - T_3 \frac{n_z}{n_x}[/tex]

And from there, it should be trivial to express T as a linear combination of vectors with coefficients (n_y)/(n_x) and (n_z)/(n_x), respectively. That'll give you your plane. :)

That was fun!

Note: We assume n_x is not zero. If it is, this problem becomes a lot more trivial.

Thank you so much for the help!

Of course, any vector in the plane is a vector parallel to the plane. You don't need a normal vector to find that.

If the plane is given by z= ax+ by+ c and we take x= y= 0, z= c so (0, 0, c) is a point in the plane. And for any numbers, X and Y, (X, Y, aX+ bY+ c) is also a point in the plane. The vector from the first to the second is [itex]X\vec{i}+ Y\vec{j}+ (aX+ bY)\vec{k}[/itex] is a vector in (parallel to) the plane. That can be written as [itex]X(\vec{i}+ a\vec{k})+ Y(\vec{j}+ b\vec{k})[/itex] indicating that [itex]\vec{i}+ a\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{j}+ b\vec{k}[/itex] form a basis for the vector space of all vectors parallel to the plane z= ax+ by+ c.

1. What does the vector n̂ represent in a plane?

The vector n̂ represents the normal vector to the plane. It is a vector that is perpendicular to every vector in the plane.

2. How do you find a vector that is perpendicular to a given plane?

To find a vector that is perpendicular to a given plane, you can use the cross product between any two non-parallel vectors in the plane. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the original vectors, and therefore perpendicular to the plane.

3. Can a vector be perpendicular to more than one plane?

Yes, a vector can be perpendicular to an infinite number of planes. This is because there are an infinite number of planes that can contain the vector as its normal vector.

4. How can the equation of a plane be written using the normal vector?

The equation of a plane can be written as Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the components of the normal vector n̂, and D is a constant. This equation represents all points in space that are perpendicular to the vector n̂.

5. Can two planes have the same normal vector?

Yes, it is possible for two planes to have the same normal vector. This means that the planes are parallel to each other, and they have the same orientation in space.