What is the final term in the distance formula for maximum range?

In summary, the formula for distance is given by d=[(2[v_0]^2(cos[alpha])sin([alpha-beta])]/gcos^2(beta) and its derivative with respect to alpha is (2[v_0]^2)/(gcos^2(beta))*(-sin(alpha)sin(alpha-beta)+cos(alpha)cos(alpha-beta))*cos(2alpha-beta). The final term, cos(2alpha-beta) is a misprint and should be cos(2alpha-beta) = cos(alpha)cos(beta) - sin(alpha)sin(beta). This was clarified by Tiny-Tim and solved the confusion for David.
delve
Hey guys,

I was hoping somebody might help me; I'm really confused. I obtained the formula for distance, which is this:

d=[(2[v_0]^2(cos[alpha])sin([alpha-beta])]/gcos^2(beta)

And the derivative for distance, which is this:

derivative of d with respect to alpha=0=(2[v_0]^2)/(gcos^2(beta))*(-sin(alpha)sin(alpha-beta)+cos(alpha)cos(alpha-beta))*cos(2alpha-beta)

I was trying to see what alpha would be for maximum range, but I have no idea where the very end term on the right comes from: cos(2alpha-beta). Could somebody please me? Thank you.

David

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey David! :smile:
delve said:
d=[(2[v_0]^2(cos[alpha])sin([alpha-beta])]/gcos^2(beta)

And the derivative for distance, which is this:

derivative of d with respect to alpha=0=(2[v_0]^2)/(gcos^2(beta))*(-sin(alpha)sin(alpha-beta)+cos(alpha)cos(alpha-beta))*cos(2alpha-beta)

No, that *cos(2α-β) at the end must be a misprint for =cos(2α-β) …

cos(A+B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB :wink:

Thank you very much Tiny-Tim! That was exactly what I needed! :D

What is the maximum range problem?

The maximum range problem is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the maximum distance that can be achieved by a projectile, such as a rocket or a bullet, when fired at a given angle and velocity.

What factors affect the maximum range of a projectile?

The maximum range of a projectile is affected by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the gravitational force of the Earth.

How is the maximum range of a projectile calculated?

The maximum range of a projectile can be calculated using the following formula: R = v2 * sin(2θ) / g, where R is the maximum range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

What is the optimal angle for maximizing the range of a projectile?

The optimal angle for maximizing the range of a projectile is 45 degrees. This is because at this angle, the sine of the angle is equal to 1, resulting in the maximum range formula simplifying to R = v2 / g. However, this assumes no air resistance.

How does air resistance affect the maximum range of a projectile?

Air resistance reduces the maximum range of a projectile by slowing it down as it travels through the air. This means that the maximum range is achieved at an angle less than 45 degrees, as the projectile needs to be launched at a higher initial velocity to overcome the resistance and reach the same distance.