How Do Doppler Effects Determine the Frequency of a Whistle in Motion?

In summary, the boy is walking towards an observer and blowing a whistle at a frequency of f. The observer hears two frequencies, f1 and f2, due to the doppler effects of the moving whistle and the sound reflecting off the wall. The beat frequency, which is the difference between f1 and f2, is 4 Hz. Using the doppler effect equation, f1 = f / (1 - 1/340) and f2 = f / (1 + 1/340). By solving these equations, the frequency of the whistle, f, can be found.
Jacob87411
A Boy is walking away from a wall at a speed of 1m/s in a direction at right angles to the wall. As he walks, he blows a whistle steadily. An observer toward whom the boy is walking hearts 4 beats per second. If the speed of sound is 340 m/s, what is the frequency of the whistle?

My original approach did not come out anywhere near right, so I am just going to ask if this analysis of the situation is right.

The boy is walking toward someone blowing a whistle. So there are two doppler effects? The one caused from the boy walking toward an observer and the sound wave reflecting off the wall, so I would calculate two doppler effects and combine them? And how can I change beat frequency to frequency, if that's possible even.

Physics news on Phys.org
The observer will hear two different frequencies, as you guessed correctly : one coming directly from the whistler (doppler shifted upwards) and another from the reflection off the wall (doppler shifted downwards). If the whistle frequency is f, you can find f1 (>f) and f2(<f) in terms of f, using the doppler relation. The beat frequency is simply the difference between these two frequencies. So, f1 - f2 = 4 Hz.

You now have 3 equations in 3 unknowns, which you can solve to find them all.

Hints:
The guy hears two whistle, one is moving toward the guy at 1m/s and the other one is moving away, now you know the frequency of two whistle, and ...(I don't want to do the problem for you)

Question..this is the doppler effect equation for the source moving towards a stationary observer:

F'= F / (1-Vsource/V)

VSource = 1 m/s
V= 340 m/s for sound of speed

What goes in for F? 4? THats what I did originally but it didnt work

Or will the two doppler effects be equal to each other and that's how you find the F?

1. What is the beat frequency of a whistle?

The beat frequency of a whistle is the perceived fluctuation in sound that occurs when two whistles with slightly different frequencies are played together.

2. How is the beat frequency of a whistle calculated?

The beat frequency of a whistle can be calculated by subtracting the lower frequency from the higher frequency. For example, if one whistle has a frequency of 500 Hz and the other has a frequency of 505 Hz, the beat frequency would be 5 Hz.

3. What causes beat frequencies in whistles?

Beat frequencies in whistles are caused by the interference of sound waves with slightly different frequencies. This results in a periodic variation in the amplitude of the combined sound, creating the beat frequency.

4. How does the distance between two whistles affect the beat frequency?

The beat frequency of two whistles will decrease as the distance between them increases. This is because the sound waves have a longer distance to travel, causing a delay in the interference and resulting in a lower beat frequency.

5. Can beat frequencies be heard with any two whistles, regardless of their frequencies?

Yes, beat frequencies can be heard with any two whistles as long as their frequencies are different. However, the beat frequency may be too low to be heard if the difference in frequencies is very small.