Dielectric Barrier Discharge Plasma Discharge Circuit

In summary, a student from Mechanical Engineering is working on a final year project involving a high voltage discharge circuit for DBD plasma. They are facing a problem with the discharge current remaining the same despite changing the distance between electrodes and the air resistance and capacitance. They are unsure if the circuit or configuration is incorrect or if the measurement method is causing the issue. They appreciate any help and have included a schematic diagram of the circuit.
cyho
To anyone that can help me,

Hello everyone. I am student from Mechanical Engineering and I am very new to electronic field. I currently doing my final year project which is developing the high voltage discharge circuit for the DBD plasma. The middle electronic elements is the representative of the two electrodes (the main discharge element) in electronic form.

The problem I facing is when I try to increase the distance of electrodes which mean the air resistance increase(let say from 33.3T ohms to 50T ohms) and air capacitance decrease (10.68fF to 6fF), The discharge current across the capacitor on the right which is C2 still remain the same which is 1.571kA(this is for first value 33.3T ohms and 10.68fF).

Is that my circuit is wrong or the configuration of my circuit is wrong? Or is due to the measurement method (I using oscilloscpoe to measure it across the capacitor with the help of probe)?

Thanks in advanced for any help that you all give me, I am appreciate it.

Regards
Ho

Engineering news on Phys.org
The schematic diagram is as below. Thanks.

Attachments

• DBD Plasma Discharge Circuit.jpg
    DBD Plasma Discharge Circuit.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 587

1. What is a Dielectric Barrier Discharge (DBD) Plasma Discharge Circuit?

A Dielectric Barrier Discharge (DBD) plasma discharge circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses an alternating current (AC) power supply to create a non-thermal plasma discharge between two electrodes separated by a dielectric barrier. This type of circuit is commonly used in applications such as surface treatment, ozone generation, and gas sensing.

2. How does a DBD Plasma Discharge Circuit work?

In a DBD plasma discharge circuit, the AC power supply creates a high voltage potential between the two electrodes, which are typically made of metal. This high voltage potential ionizes the gas molecules present in the gap between the electrodes, creating a plasma discharge. This discharge produces reactive species such as ions, electrons, and radicals, which can be used for various applications.

3. What are the benefits of using a DBD Plasma Discharge Circuit?

Some of the benefits of using a DBD plasma discharge circuit include its low cost, efficiency, and ability to operate at atmospheric pressure. This type of circuit also offers precise control over the plasma parameters, making it suitable for various industrial and scientific applications.

4. Are there any safety concerns with DBD Plasma Discharge Circuits?

As with any electrical circuit, there are safety concerns associated with DBD plasma discharge circuits. The high voltage used in these circuits can present a shock hazard, and the plasma discharge can produce ultraviolet radiation and ozone, which can be harmful if not properly controlled. It is essential to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective equipment when working with these circuits.

5. What are some common applications of DBD Plasma Discharge Circuits?

DBD plasma discharge circuits have a wide range of applications, including surface treatment, sterilization, pollution control, and plasma-assisted combustion. They are also used in the production of ozone for water purification and air treatment. In recent years, DBD plasma discharge circuits have also been studied for their potential use in biomedical applications such as wound healing and cancer treatment.