Best way of oscilating a screen

• Thread starter smithgi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screen
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to build an oscillating screen, made from 1mm thick acrylic, that moves up and down 4cm with 30 cycles per second. The desired motion is as linear as possible, and some ideas for achieving this include using a magnetic coil, cam, or compressed air valve. However, these ideas may not be feasible and the suggestion of using a reciprocating motion from a rod attached to a shaft is given as a simpler option. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for an engineer's expertise in finding a suitable solution.
smithgi
Hi,
I need to build an oscilating screen of about a4 size. The screen needs to be made from 1mm thick acrylic and be flat. It needs to oscilate up and down a total distance of 4cm (2cm up then 2 cm down) and do this a total of 30 times per sec , so 15 ups and 15 downs.

I'd like the motion to be as linear as possible , which due to inertia, and momentum I undestand is impossible to achieve totally, but as close to linear would be ideal.

Some ideas I have had.
1) some kind of magnetic coil, as if the screen were attatched to a large speaker through which a traiangular 16hz sounds wave was being played.
2) Some kind of cam
3) A compressed air oscilating valve of some kind.

Does anybody have any better ideas?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
smithgi said:
Does anybody have any better ideas?

Not at the moment.

Welcome to PF, Smithgi. I started thinking as soon as I started reading, and my first thought turned out to be one of yours, as in attaching the membrane to a honkin' big speaker. I hadn't gotten to the point of figuring out a sonic signature for it, though. I was thinking along the line of some classic Stones or maybe a bit of Atomic Rooster, but that's just personal taste. :biggrin: I dismissed it before finishing the read, however, because I don't think that the spatial displacement with such a mechanism can be regulated as accurately as you seem to require, and might be hard to achieve at all with any reasonable volume level. That's an awful lot of movement.
My second idea was also one that you mentioned, as in a fast-acting cam. That still seems like the best approach. You'd likely need some sort of spring-powered return mechanism; there's a lot of inertial involved. Gravity won't likely cycle the thing quickly enough.
I'll think on it a bit, but you'd be best served by waiting for a real engineer to answer.

Reciprotating motion from a rod attached to a shaft, in which case the motion will be sine would be a simple option.

What is the purpose of oscillating a screen?

The purpose of oscillating a screen is to evenly distribute and separate materials on the screen surface. This can aid in the sorting and filtering of particles and can also prevent clogging or blinding of the screen.

What factors should be considered when choosing the best way to oscillate a screen?

The factors that should be considered include the type of material being screened, the size and shape of the screen, and the desired amplitude and frequency of oscillation. The available power source and budget should also be taken into account.

What are the different methods of oscillating a screen?

There are several methods of oscillating a screen, including mechanical, electromagnetic, and pneumatic. Mechanical oscillation uses a motor or crank mechanism to move the screen in a back-and-forth motion. Electromagnetic oscillation uses an electromagnetic force to vibrate the screen. Pneumatic oscillation uses compressed air to create a pulsating motion.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each oscillation method?

Mechanical oscillation is typically the most cost-effective option and can be adjusted easily. However, it may not be suitable for larger screens or certain materials. Electromagnetic oscillation provides high frequency and amplitude, but can be more expensive. Pneumatic oscillation is energy efficient, but may not provide as much control over the screen motion.

How can the best way of oscillating a screen be determined for a specific application?

The best way of oscillating a screen can be determined by conducting tests with different methods and settings to see which provides the most efficient and effective screening for the specific material and desired outcome. Consulting with experts in the field can also help in selecting the optimal oscillation method.