Why is my environment PATH not being permanently set in Windows?

• Thread starter phylotree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, The conversation discusses the usage of command prompt and environment PATH setting in Windows. The speaker talks about their experience with DOS command line options and their confusion about why people still use command prompt. They mention getting stuck while trying to set the path and realizing that it is not a permanent change. They suggest setting the path through the Control Panel to make it permanent.
phylotree
I started my days late with computer world, but lately I have enjoyed myself pretty much with DOS command line options and usage. Today people use only mouses to click, I wonder why on Earth do people still use command prompt. But I decided to learn about environment PATH SETTING, and I am stuck now that the path isn't really set.
For instance,
C:> SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\somepath
C:>PATH

Oh yes it sets my somepath
Then I issue

C:>exit

Then reopen the command prompt in Administrator mode
C:>PATH

Oh no, my somepath is not there anymore.

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I guess you are opening DOS session under Windows. If so, PATH that you see exists only for the current session, and is lost when you close the session. When you start a new session it is copied from the Windows environment variables.

DOS uses only a bastardized version of command prompt, the real thing you can find under Linux. My understanding is that if you want to experiment with a real command line under Windows you can install Cygwin, but I never tried it myself.

If you want it to be permanent in Windows, you need to set it through the Control Panel.
Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables.

I have found that Windows doesn't seem to pick up the new values until you restart your computer.

Borg said:
If you want it to be permanent in Windows, you need to set it through the Control Panel.
or starting with "my computer":

start, right click on "my computer" -> properties -> advanced -> environment variables.

Note there are two pairs of temp paths, one pair for system, one pair for user.

I can offer some possible reasons for why your environment PATH is not being permanently set in Windows.

Firstly, it could be due to a user-specific setting. In Windows, each user has their own environment variables that can be set and modified. If you are setting the PATH variable as a regular user, it may not be saved for the Administrator user. To ensure that the PATH variable is set for all users, you can try setting it in the system environment variables instead of the user-specific ones.

Secondly, it could be due to a system update or software installation that overwrites your PATH variable. Some software installations or system updates can overwrite the PATH variable, causing it to revert to its default setting. In this case, you may need to manually set the PATH variable again after the update or installation.

Lastly, it could be due to a conflicting or incorrect setting. If there are multiple PATH variables set or if there is a typo in the path you are trying to add, it can cause the variable to not be saved properly. Make sure to check for any conflicting or incorrect settings to ensure that the PATH variable is being set correctly.

In conclusion, there could be various reasons why your environment PATH is not being permanently set in Windows. By understanding the possible causes, you can troubleshoot and find a solution that works for your specific situation. I hope this helps you in your journey of learning and using the command prompt.

1. What is "Start late with Computers"?

"Start late with Computers" is a program designed to teach adults who have little to no experience with computers how to use them effectively. It covers topics such as basic computer functions, internet usage, and common software programs.

2. Who can benefit from "Start late with Computers"?

Anyone who has little to no experience with computers can benefit from this program. It is specifically tailored for adults who have not had the opportunity to learn about computers earlier in life.

3. What is the format of "Start late with Computers"?

The program is typically held in a classroom setting and consists of hands-on exercises and lectures. Participants will have access to computers and will be guided by an instructor throughout the program.

4. How long does the program last?

The length of the program can vary, but it typically lasts for several weeks with classes held once or twice a week. The total duration of the program can range from 4-6 weeks.

5. Will I become an expert in computers after completing "Start late with Computers"?

"Start late with Computers" is designed to provide a foundation of basic computer skills. While you will gain a good understanding of how to use computers, it is important to continue practicing and learning on your own to become an expert.