Is This Answer Correct? Multiplying 10x and 12 by Opposite Values

• Thread starter indigo1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation includes a question about whether an answer is correct for a problem that involves finding the rate of change of the base of an isosceles triangle. The problem is displayed in a picture, and the answer involves using the base and its rate of change. The conversation also includes another question about a related homework problem and a request for help.
indigo1
my question is... is this answer correct? for the last step. WOULDNT you multiply 10x by .5 and 12 by .2? the opposite of what this answer is? Itsays BASE is 10 in and BASE chagnges at .5 in per second
problem:
i45.tinypic.com/xknbci.png
answer:
i50.tinypic.com/2qcnsyv.jpg

this is what i get...

i50.tinypic.com/124cxgy.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org

indigo1 said:
my question is... is this answer correct? for the last step. WOULDN'T you multiply 10[STRIKE]x[/STRIKE] by .5 and 12 by .2? the opposite of what this answer is? It says BASE is 10 in and BASE changes at .5 in per second
problem:
i45.tinypic.com/xknbci.png
answer:
i50.tinypic.com/2qcnsyv.jpg

this is what i get...

i50.tinypic.com/124cxgy.jpg
Hello indigo1. Welcome to PF !

Why would you want to multiply the base by the rate of change of the base? Even your working has [itex]\displaystyle b\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle h\frac{db}{dt}\ .[/itex]

dh/dt is -0.2 in/sec and db/dt is 0.5 in/sec !

BTW: Below are your images, displayed so others can see them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48210&stc=1&d=1339361547.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=48211&stc=1&d=1339361619.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=48212&stc=1&d=1339361660.jpg

Attachments

• xknbci.png
    xknbci.png
    16 KB · Views: 822
  • 2qcnsyv.jpg
    2qcnsyv.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,858
  • 124cxgy.jpg
    124cxgy.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 848
This was really helpful
But i was wondering if this is the same for my HW problem i applied the same A' equation but instead looked for the db/dt and i got -3/2 idk if this is right.
"The base of an isosceles triangle is 6 feet. If the altitude is 4 feet and increasing at the rate of 2 inches per minute, at what rate is the vertex angle changing?"
I will really appreciate for your help.

seawolf23, instead of tacking your question onto the end of a question from almost two years ago, please start a new thread. Be sure to use the homework template, and include the problem statement and the work you have done.

1. What does it mean to multiply by opposite values?

Multiplying by opposite values means multiplying a number by its opposite or additive inverse, which is a number that when added to the original number results in a sum of zero. For example, the opposite of 10 is -10, and the opposite of 12 is -12.

2. Why is it important to know how to multiply by opposite values?

Knowing how to multiply by opposite values is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and solve equations more efficiently. It is also helpful in finding the inverse of a fraction or determining the sign of a product.

3. What happens when you multiply a number by its opposite value?

When you multiply a number by its opposite value, the resulting product is always -1. This is because multiplying any number by its opposite results in a sum of zero, and zero divided by any non-zero number is equal to -1.

4. Can you provide an example of multiplying by opposite values?

Sure, let's say we want to multiply 10x by its opposite value. The opposite value of 10x is -10x, so the product would be -10x * 10x = -100x^2. Similarly, if we want to multiply 12 by its opposite value, the product would be -12 * 12 = -144.

5. How is multiplying by opposite values used in real life?

Multiplying by opposite values is commonly used in algebra and other math applications. In real life, it can be used to find the distance between two points on a number line, determine the direction of a vector, or calculate average velocity. It can also be used in financial calculations, such as finding the net profit or loss after accounting for opposite values.