Artist needs help with project

• Thread starter jumbodog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the individual is seeking help in creating a small setup that involves a small engine driving a lever. They need to be able to control the lever's height, speed, frequency, and force. They are hoping to find an off-the-shelf hobbyist kit to accomplish this, but may be open to assembling parts. A potential solution could be using a small fractional horsepower variable speed DC motor with a cord attached to the shaft to raise the lever. Links to websites selling these motors and controllers are provided for reference.
jumbodog
I'm not an engineer I'm an artist and I don't have a clue where to begin. I'm working on a small setup and I need to create the following somehow.

I need a small (micro, miniature) engine that drives a small lever up and down. I need to be able to control both the height of the lever (1-3 inches), how fast the lever raises and falls (in seconds), how frequently the lever rises and fall (in seconds), and the amount of force (pressure, I suppose) that the lever applies when in falls. The amount of pressure doesn't have to be very large, say about the amount of pressure it takes to stretch an average rubber band.

That's what I'm hoping to do. Does anyone know of an off the shelf hobbyist type kit that might do this. I'm not an engineer or a computer programmer so I'm not interested in any mega project. But I don't mind putting some parts together if that what it takes.

TIA for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I severely doubt that what you want is within your ability to build. The closest "off-the-shelf" device that I can immediately think of is a tattoo gun, but even that won't meet your requirements.
(And yes, I realize that tattoo needles don't traverse 1-3 inches. Leverage can change that.)

jumbodog, Welcome to Physcis Forums!

You might use a small fractional horsepower variable speed dc (direct current) motor. Install a cord onto the shaft and as the motor rotates it pulls on the cord, which is attached to the arm. The arm will then raise when the motor runs. To return to the original position you would need to deenergise the motor and use a spring system or gravity.
Here are sites that sell the motors/controllers, some quite cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=V-DC-MINI-ELECTRIC-MOTOR-DIY-HOBBY-VARIABLE-SPEED-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Motor-AC-DC-Control-Rheostat-Variable-Speed-/130745699171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e710d0b63

http://www.kbelectronics.com/Variable_Speed_DC_Drives.html

What kind of project does the artist need help with?

The artist may need help with a variety of projects, such as creating a new piece of artwork, organizing an exhibition, or promoting their work. It is important to clarify the specific nature of the project before offering assistance.

What skills or expertise does the artist need in a potential helper?

This will depend on the specific project, but some common skills that artists may look for in a helper include graphic design, marketing, event planning, or art technique knowledge. It is best to discuss the project with the artist to understand their specific needs.

How much time commitment is required to help the artist with their project?

This will vary depending on the scope and complexity of the project. It is important to discuss expectations and availability with the artist before committing to helping with their project.

What kind of compensation is the artist offering for help with their project?

This will also vary depending on the project and the artist's resources. Some artists may offer monetary compensation, while others may offer networking opportunities or exposure for the helper's own work. It is important to discuss compensation with the artist before agreeing to help.

What is the timeline for the project and when does the artist need help?

This is an important question to ask in order to determine if you are able to commit to helping the artist. Some projects may have a tight deadline, while others may have a more flexible timeline. It is important to discuss this with the artist and ensure that you are able to meet their needs before agreeing to help.