How to Calculate Contour Integrals Using the Given Property?

In summary, the question involves using the property |integral over c of f(z)dz|<=ML to prove |integral over c of 1/(z^2-i) dz|<=3pi/4 where c is the circle |z|=3 traversed once counterclockwise. The first step is to factor the denominator and determine the poles, then determine if they lie inside the circle |z|=3. The constants M and L are defined as the upper bound of |f(z)| on C and the arc length of the contour C, respectively. By using the property of integrals and substituting the appropriate values, the desired inequality can be proven.
cateater2000
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with this question.

Use the property |integral over c of f(z)dz|<=ML
to show |integral over c of 1/(z^2-i) dz|<=3pi/4

where c is the circle |z|=3 traversed once counterclockwise

thanks in advance for any tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what "ML" means, though presumably it is a constant. Is the "L" a subscript by chance?

At any rate, a good start would be to factor the denominator of the integrand, and determine the poles. Once you have done that, ask yourself if the poles lie inside the circle |z|=3. That should get you well on the way to proving what you are asked to prove.

I think the ML
is M*L two different constants

I geuss I could do the pole thing, thanks for the reply.

I`m sure M means the upper bound of |f(z)| on C and L is the arc length of the contour C.

[tex]\left|\int_C f(z)dz\right|=\left|\int_a^bf(z(t))\frac{dz(t)}{dt}dt\right|[/tex].

Now use the fact that:
[tex]\left|\int_a^b f(t)dt\right|\leq \int_a^b \left|f(t)\right|dt[/tex]

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral, also known as a line integral, is a type of integral used in complex analysis to calculate the total sum of a function along a given curve in the complex plane.

2. What is the significance of the contour integral property?

The contour integral property allows us to evaluate complex line integrals by breaking them down into simpler, one-dimensional integrals. This simplifies the calculation process and makes it easier to solve complex problems in mathematics and physics.

3. How is the contour integral property used in real-life applications?

The contour integral property has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, heat transfer, and many other physical phenomena.

4. Are there any limitations to the contour integral property?

Yes, there are some limitations to the contour integral property. It can only be applied to functions that are holomorphic (analytic) within the contour of integration. Also, the contour must be a closed curve, and the function must be continuous along the contour.

5. What is the relationship between the contour integral property and Cauchy's integral theorem?

The contour integral property is a direct consequence of Cauchy's integral theorem, which states that the value of a complex line integral is independent of the path taken as long as the endpoints remain the same. This theorem is the basis for the use of contour integrals in complex analysis.