Light-wavelength calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the shortest and longest light-wavelength needed to eject an electron from a sodium surface using the photoelectric effect. The formula for calculating the maximum kinetic energy of the ejected electron is provided, along with the necessary constants and conversions. The conversation also mentions using consistent units in calculations and provides a link for further clarification on the photoelectric effect.
Kahsi
Hi.

How do I calculate this:

How long is the shortest light-wavelenght that can breake loose a elektron from a natrium surface?

Science news on Phys.org
Thank you for the link, clive.
This is what I've got now:

[tex]eV_{0} = \frac{hc}{\lambda}-\phi[/tex]
[tex]h = 6,6261 * 10^{-34}[/tex]
[tex]c = 2,99792458*10^8[/tex]
[tex]\phi =2,28eV[/tex]

I need [tex]eV_0[/tex] to calculate [tex]\lambda[/tex]. How do I get it?

And ofcourse I want the longest wavelength and not the shortest as I said before. :smile:

Kahsi said:
I need [tex]eV_0[/tex] to calculate [tex]\lambda[/tex]. How do I get it?
[tex]eV_0[/tex] is the maximum KE of the ejected electron; to find the minimum energy photon (longest wavelength) needed to eject an electron, set [tex]eV_0[/tex] to 0.

Okay so we got

[tex]\frac{hc}{\lambda} = \phi[/tex]
[tex]h = 6,6261*10^{-34}[/tex]
[tex]c\approx 3*10^8[/tex]
[tex]\phi = 2,28eV[/tex]

This gives us

[tex]\lambda\approx 8,7*10^{-26}[/tex]

Is this correct? Maybe i should turn eV to joule first?

Btw: Is the answer in meter? (I'm new to frequency)

Last edited:
use standard units

Kahsi said:
Maybe i should turn eV to joule first?
You'd better use consistent units throughout. Since h = 6.625 x 10-34 J-s, you'd better convert eV to Joules!

Btw: Is the answer in meter? (I'm new to frequency)
The standard unit for length is the meter, so that equation for [itex]\lambda[/itex] will give you meters.

Another question. If I'm lighting up a natriumsurface with a quicksilver-lamp electrons will "release". But which formulas should I use to calculate which energy the fastest electrons will get?

Thank you in advance.

Kahsi said:
But which formulas should I use to calculate which energy the fastest electrons will get?
See post #4 in this thread. You have the formula.
(Photon energy) - (energy needed to eject an electron) = maximum KE of ejected electron

This may help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect#Explanation

1. What is the formula for calculating light wavelength?

The formula for calculating light wavelength is: λ = c/f, where λ is the wavelength in meters, c is the speed of light in meters per second, and f is the frequency in hertz.

2. How is light wavelength measured?

Light wavelength can be measured using a variety of methods, including using a spectrometer or diffraction grating, or by performing mathematical calculations based on the frequency and speed of light.

3. What factors can affect the calculation of light wavelength?

The calculation of light wavelength can be affected by factors such as the medium through which the light is passing, the temperature and pressure of the medium, and the angle at which the light is being observed.

4. What units are used to measure light wavelength?

Light wavelength is typically measured in units of meters (m), but it can also be measured in other units such as nanometers (nm) or angstroms (Å).

5. Why is light wavelength important in scientific research?

Light wavelength is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the properties and behaviors of different forms of electromagnetic radiation, and can be used to study a wide range of phenomena such as the composition of distant stars, the structure of atoms, and the behavior of matter at the quantum level.