A light, readily available glue, that can adhere metal to latex.

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a spreadable adhesive with specific properties, such as the ability to adhere metal to rubber, being inexpensive, lightweight when dried, and having good surface tension when uncured/dried. The strength of the adhesive is not a major concern. Suggestions were made for using cyanoacrylate, 2-part epoxy resin, or UV-catalyzed polymer resin. Other options mentioned were 2-part automotive paint, liquid nails, and JB Weld. Factors such as flexibility and surface area were also discussed.
DragonPetter
Hello,

I have next to no materials specific knowledge, so I was hoping someone here could guide me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a spreadable adhesive that has the following properties listed by priority:
1. Can adhere metal to latex or other rubber-like materials.
2. Inexpensive
3. Is very light when dried.
4. Good surface tension when uncured/dried
5. Readily available at a store or easy to purchase in small quantities online.

Strength (holding force?) is not that important, if that is a factor.

Physics news on Phys.org
you sound like a chemical engineer to me, could you please give me reasons for studying chemical engineering other than the passion for chemistry, physics and maths?? thanksssss
xxx :)

the_day_angel said:
you sound like a chemical engineer to me
Actually, I implied the opposite when I expressed my lack of materials knowledge.

Cyanoacrylate?

aka Super Glue.

2 part expoxy resin - not sure about the chemical bonds etc but I have used it for anumber of my projects

yep a two part epoxy like Bondo or PC-7 or PC-11 may work. you canget those at any hardware store

If it needs to be a fine even layer of adhesive you can use a cheap 2 part automotive paint and spray it on with an HVLP gun between your layers

ever hear of A UV-catalyzed polymer resin? if one of the layers you are gluing together is transparent you could use something like a photo-catalyzation process rather than an epoxide type scenario

I did not see if you needed it to be flexible.
Another factor is surface area, the larger the area the less adhesion
you need for the same strength.
If you do not need flex, liquid nails will have something that should work.
If your part needs some strength, JB Weld. (I repaired an outboard engine block with this)

1. What is the best type of glue to use for adhering metal to latex?

A light, readily available glue that can adhere metal to latex is called cyanoacrylate glue, commonly known as super glue. This type of glue is known for its strong bonding ability and quick drying time.

2. Can any type of metal be adhered to latex using this glue?

Cyanoacrylate glue can adhere most types of metal, including aluminum, steel, copper, and brass, to latex. However, it may not be suitable for very heavy or large pieces of metal.

3. How long does it take for the glue to dry and create a strong bond?

Cyanoacrylate glue typically dries within 10-30 seconds and creates a strong bond within 1-2 minutes. It is important to hold the metal and latex together tightly during this time to ensure a secure bond.

4. Is it safe to use this glue on latex materials?

Yes, cyanoacrylate glue is safe to use on latex materials. However, it is important to use it in a well-ventilated area and avoid getting it on your skin or inhaling the fumes.

5. Can this glue be used for other materials besides metal and latex?

Yes, cyanoacrylate glue can also bond other materials such as plastic, wood, and ceramics. It is important to make sure the materials are clean and dry before applying the glue for the best results.