Showing that a series of numbers has an infinite amount of composites

In summary, the homework statement states that infinitely many numbers are composite. The attempt at a solution by induction concludes that if 10^n +1 has a proper divisor less than √10^n+1, then 10+1 is a factor of 10^3+1.
basik156

Homework Statement

Show that infinitely many of the numbers

11, 101, 1001, 10001, 100001,...

are composite

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So by inspecting these numbers, I notice that 11, 1001, 100001 are all divisible by 11.
The numbers can be represented at 10[itex]^{n}[/itex]+1
and when n=2k+1 where k is an integer, this number is divisible by 11, thus having a proper divisor less than √n and thus being composite.

So I know this, but I don't think I've really shown that the number is divisible by 11, I have just noticed this fact. I attempted a solution by induction, but something tells me there is a better way to show this.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were able to prove that 10^n +1 has any proper divisor less than √10^n+1 then I have shown the claim. How to do this is where I'm at a wall...

1001=10^3+1. Can you show me that has a divisor of 11 without doing the numeric factorization? Big hint: do you know how to factor a^3+b^3? Can you show x^n+1 where n is odd has a factor of x+1 without even factorizing the polynomial?

Last edited:
I understand your first two questions, so I think to answer the third I need to use prime factorization, which is what I am working on now

basik156 said:
I understand your first two questions, so I think to answer the third I need to use prime factorization, which is what I am working on now

No, you don't need prime factorization. You just need know how to find a factor of some polynomial expressions. The question doesn't have anything to do with 11 being prime.

I must be missing something big because I can't seem to show that x+1 would be a factor. I do know that any polynomial that has a zero at say x=k has a factor of (x-k).
So if x^(2k+1)+1 and by inspection , when x=-1 we have -1^n +1 where n is odd so -1^n+1 always equals zero. Thus x=-1 is a zero, thus x+1 is a factor.

Have I done the job?

basik156 said:
I must be missing something big because I can't seem to show that x+1 would be a factor. I do know that any polynomial that has a zero at say x=k has a factor of (x-k).
So if x^(2k+1)+1 and by inspection , when x=-1 we have -1^n +1 where n is odd so -1^n+1 always equals zero. Thus x=-1 is a zero, thus x+1 is a factor.

Have I done the job?

You've got that part right! Now apply that to 10^3+1, 10^5+1 etc. If x+1 is factor of x^3+1 then 10+1 is a factor of 10^3+1, right?

Last edited:
When I claim n is odd haven't I taken care of all of those cases?

basik156 said:
When I claim n is odd haven't I taken care of all of those cases?

Sure, now just sum up how the whole thing works. Why did you ask "I must be missing something big because I can't seem to show that x+1 would be a factor."?

I should've erased that part before I sent that last message. Thanks so much for your guidance!

1. How do you define a composite number?

A composite number is a positive integer that can be formed by multiplying two smaller positive integers together.

2. Why is it important to show that a series of numbers has an infinite amount of composites?

It is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of numbers, and it also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science.

3. What is the process for proving that a series of numbers has an infinite amount of composites?

To prove that a series of numbers has an infinite amount of composites, we can use the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. By showing that there is no upper limit to the number of prime numbers, we can conclude that there is also no upper limit to the number of composites.

4. Can you give an example of a series of numbers with an infinite amount of composites?

One example is the series of positive integers starting from 2. As we continue counting, we will encounter an infinite amount of composite numbers.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that there is an infinite amount of composites?

No, there are no exceptions. The concept of infinity means that there is no limit or end, so there will always be an infinite amount of composites in any series of numbers.