Calculating Force to Hold Cylinder in Position

In summary, the conversation is discussing a work-related problem involving the calculation of the amount of force required to hold a cylinder in a specific position, when its center of gravity is not at the center. The cylinder is assumed to be 60 feet long and made up of 8 sections, with one section removed for maintenance purposes, causing a shift in the center of gravity. The arrangement of the cylinder is rotated with the help of a gear and pinion arrangement. The goal is to find the counter force, Pt, in Picture1. The given data includes the radius of the gear and pinion, the location of the center of gravity, and the reactions of the supports. The conversation also discusses the correct method for finding Pt and any
subbby
This is a work related problem. I was calculating the amount of force required to hold a cylinder in a position when its Center of gravity is not at the center.

Problem Background

• Assume a 60' long cylinder.
  • Circumferential it is made of 8 sections.
  • For maintenance purpose, one section is completely removed (Side View shown in Picture3 & front view shown in Picture2). Hence the shift in center of gravity. (Shown in Picture2)
  • This entire arrangement is rotated with the help of gear and pinion arrangement. (Picture1.)

To find :
Find Pt in Picture1 (Pt is the counter force)

Given Data:
• Bigger Circle : Gear
• Smaller Circle : pinion
• Center of Gravity CG point is 14.125 inches to the left from the vertical center line
• Radius of Gear = 144”
• Radius of pinion = 10.75”
• Reactions Rb and Rc are supports. Angle Rb-O-G = Angle Rc-O-G= 30 degrees
• Ra=1,111,887.5#

Attempt 1:

• Finding moments about point O.
  • Therefore since direction of reactions Rb and Rc are in the line of action of force, they wouldn't have any moment about the point ‘O’ …. Correct me if I am wrong

Implies, Pt= (1111887.5*14.125)/144= 109065.3 #

My Doubts :
  • Is this approach correct ? and is this the value of the force required to hold the cylinder
  • Or do I have to consider the reactions Rb and Rc too ? If that is the case I shall end up having three unknowns, namely Rb,Rc and Pt.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 532
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 527
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org

The supports are rollers, turning freely, yes? Then your calculation looks right.

haruspex said:
The supports are rollers, turning freely, yes? Then your calculation looks right.

Yes. Free Rolling !

Thanks for your help .

1. What is the formula for calculating force to hold a cylinder in position?

The formula for calculating force to hold a cylinder in position is F = m x g, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the cylinder in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. How do you determine the mass of the cylinder?

The mass of the cylinder can be determined by either weighing it on a scale or by using the formula m = ρ x V, where m is the mass in kilograms, ρ is the density of the material in kilograms per cubic meter, and V is the volume of the cylinder in cubic meters.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared, which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to gravity.

4. Can I use the same formula for calculating force for any type of cylinder?

Yes, the formula for calculating force to hold a cylinder in position can be used for any type of cylinder, as long as the mass is measured in kilograms and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s².

5. What are the units for force in this calculation?

The units for force in this calculation are Newtons (N), which is the standard unit for measuring force in the International System of Units (SI).