First year chemistry quantum mechanics question

In summary, hydrogen atoms in an excited state emit radiation towards an unknown metal, causing the ejection of electrons with kinetic energy of 8.77 x 10^-19 J. Using the formula E light = E kinetic + E binding, the binding energy of the unknown metal can be determined. The correct answer is 7.58x10^-19, which corresponds to the metal Ag.
nclz
Hydrogen atoms are generated in an excited state where the electron occupies the 2p orbital. The excited sample of atoms then emits radiation that is directed to an unknown metal. The radiation ejects electrons with kinetic energy 8.77 x 10^-19 J. Given the data in the table below, identify the unknown metal.

Metal: Ag, Cr, Ca, Mg, Au
Binding energy: 7.58x10^-19, 7.21x10^-19, 4.60x10^-19, 5.86x10^-19, 8.17x10^-19

Attempt:

8.77x10^-19J = -2.18x10^-18x(z^2)(1/2^2)

I also know that E light = E Kinetic + E binding

The correct answer is 7.58x10^-19. Can someone explain to me how to tackle this question?

Please don't delete my question, I put in a lot of effort to type this

Physics news on Phys.org
nclz said:
identify the unknown metal.

The correct answer is 7.58x10^-19

No idea what you are doing nor what you are writing. 7.58x10-19 is not a metal.

Please don't delete my question, I put in a lot of effort to type this

To avoid the risk of getting your messages deleted, please put also an effort into reading forum rules and your private messages.

What is energy of the electron on the 2p orbital of hydrogen atom? What is energy of the electron in the ground state of hydrogen atom? How much energy must be emitted for the electron to fall down?

u troll, The upper part metal corresponds to binding energy, it's clearly written, if you don't know the answer don't even bother to answer! That binding energy corresponds to Ag, which is a METAL. Even primary kids can understand this question. Jesus. Quote me on ALL THIS!

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles interact and behave, and how they can both act as particles and waves.

2. How does quantum mechanics relate to chemistry?

Quantum mechanics is the foundation of chemistry, as it explains the behavior of atoms and molecules. It helps us understand the structure of atoms, how they bond to form molecules, and how they interact with each other. Without quantum mechanics, we would not have a complete understanding of chemistry.

3. What are some key principles of quantum mechanics?

Some key principles of quantum mechanics include superposition, uncertainty principle, wave-particle duality, and quantization. Superposition means that particles can exist in multiple states at the same time. The uncertainty principle states that we cannot know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Wave-particle duality means that particles can behave as both waves and particles. Quantization refers to the discrete energy levels that particles can have.

4. How does quantum mechanics help explain chemical reactions?

Quantum mechanics helps us understand the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions. It explains how electrons move between energy levels in atoms and molecules, and how this movement affects the stability and reactivity of substances. Quantum mechanics also helps us predict the likelihood of different reaction pathways and the final products of a reaction.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics in chemistry?

Some real-world applications of quantum mechanics in chemistry include drug design, materials science, and nanotechnology. By understanding the behavior of atoms at a quantum level, scientists can design and synthesize new drugs with specific properties, create new materials with unique properties, and manipulate and control matter at the nanoscale for various applications.