Should there be restrictions on giving career advice in online forums?

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Careers
In summary, I think it would be a good idea to have restrictions on the careers and advice forum so that only mentoring advice can be given. This would help protect the lives of others who seek guidance from the forum.
Bladibla
It seems that everyone can post in the 'careers and advice' forum.

But by doing this, wouldn't we be jeprodizing the lives of other people with crappy advice? I'm not saying that everybody in the PF gives crap advice. But what i saying is, people like me, a 16 year old, given the permission to comment on other people's lives and telling them advice on what to do (i.e. what degrees in physics etc..) would be quite..misleading and dangerous.

So what I am saying is: wouldn't it be appropriate for there to be 'ristrictions' on the careers forum, to allow only (somewhat) mentoring advice to the people who seek it?

Physics news on Phys.org
By that logic, wouldn't it be appropriate to place restrictions on EVERY forum? Wouldn't it be dangerous having a 16 year old giving advice on how to model vibrations in an aircraft superstructure?

All advice given in a forum such as this (whether it's career advice or technical advice) should be taken with a pinch of salt. With time, it's easy to spot the members who give good sound advice.

I agree with brewnog's assessment. It's pretty obvious when someone is just posting advice with no experience to back it up. For many of the questions there, though, it's really up to the person who is making the post to choose their own direction and ultimately decide for themselves what to do. All the advice in the world is useless if it's really not what they want to do anyway.

But, throughout the forums, the system of mentors, science advisor/homework helper medals, and "guru" awards are there to help you identify some of the members who the board management deems particularly trustworthy in providing sound advice. There are of course others who have not been recognized who will also give sound advice, but when in doubt, or when there's major disagreement, that's one way of helping members identify some individuals they can trust.

Moonbear said:
I agree with brewnog's assessment. It's pretty obvious when someone is just posting advice with no experience to back it up. For many of the questions there, though, it's really up to the person who is making the post to choose their own direction and ultimately decide for themselves what to do. All the advice in the world is useless if it's really not what they want to do anyway.

But, throughout the forums, the system of mentors, science advisor/homework helper medals, and "guru" awards are there to help you identify some of the members who the board management deems particularly trustworthy in providing sound advice. There are of course others who have not been recognized who will also give sound advice, but when in doubt, or when there's major disagreement, that's one way of helping members identify some individuals they can trust.
Just remember that even a mentor, ribbon holder or guru may only have knowledge in a very specific field. That was a good point brought up by Moonbear when the ribbons were first awarded. What Brewnog said is good advice, take all advice with a pinch of salt, use common sense, do research on your own. I'm sure most advice is well intended but still could be completely wrong.

Evo said:
Just remember that even a mentor, ribbon holder or guru may only have knowledge in a very specific field.

That's true, though experience on the board tells me that those who have been entrusted with medals also distinguish between subjects in which they have expertise and those in which they are guessing or speculating.

Personally, I like having that biology ribbon so I don't need to keep sticking in the disclaimer: "I'm a biologist, not a (physicist/engineer/mathematician)."

1. What are the most in-demand careers in the science field?

The most in-demand careers in the science field currently include computer science, data science, biotechnology, environmental science, and artificial intelligence. These fields are constantly evolving and offer high-paying job opportunities.

2. What skills are necessary for a successful career in science?

Some essential skills for a successful career in science include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, strong communication, and collaboration. Additionally, having a strong foundation in mathematics and technology is crucial in many scientific fields.

3. How can I gain experience and build my resume for a career in science?

There are several ways to gain experience and build your resume for a career in science. You can participate in internships, volunteer at research labs or organizations, attend conferences and workshops, and conduct your own research projects. Additionally, joining relevant clubs or organizations and taking on leadership roles can also demonstrate your passion and commitment to the field.

4. What resources are available for career advice in the science field?

There are numerous resources available for career advice in the science field. These include career counselors, online resources such as job boards and career websites, networking events, and informational interviews with professionals in your field of interest. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer career development programs and workshops specifically for science careers.

5. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree for a successful career in science?

While some careers in science may require a graduate degree, it is not always necessary for a successful career. Many entry-level positions in science fields only require a bachelor's degree, and individuals can gain experience and advance in their careers through on-the-job training and professional development opportunities. However, pursuing a graduate degree can open up more opportunities for career advancement and higher salaries in some fields.