What is the hardest thing for you to wrap your brain around

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation touches on various topics such as the size of the universe, the size of a quark, infinity, the Riemann Hypothesis, the platypus, women, diamonds, and memory. The participants share their difficulties in comprehending these concepts and express their amazement at the complexity of the human brain. They also discuss the mathematical concept of infinities and their comparison in calculus.
For me it's consciousness. I don't know where it comes from (well obviously our brains but why is it there? How did it get there?) and where it goes once we die. I mean it's hard to think that consciousness simply disappears when we die.

Physics news on Phys.org
Timewalker6 said:
For me it's consciousness. I don't know where it comes from (well obviously our brains but why is it there? How did it get there?) and where it goes once we die. I mean it's hard to think that consciousness simply disappears when we die.

Hmmm...perhaps it's not anything at all really?

I know it's an old thread, but it's a timeless question that I ask myself several times each Earth day, and I'm sure many other individuals on PF do too.

From my perspective, given the premise that nothing that 'exists' is discrete, in its most definitive sense, then consciousness (the unquantifiable entity which depicts whether the bearer is 'alive') must be continuously embedded throughout the continuum of space-time.

So when you die, you are intrinsically a shared portion of a continuous universe, and NOT a discrete packet of existence or to put it another way, a finite number of constituent parts.

Are DEAD and ALIVE two separate states, or are they just the most extreme states of an infinite range between 0 and Infiniti?

This issue arises every time I drink "cups" of coffee.

Obviously women. The universe is an open book compared to them.

Nah. I understand pretty much everything.

<h2>1. What is the concept of infinity and why is it difficult to understand?</h2><p>The concept of infinity refers to something that has no limit or end. It is difficult to understand because our brains are used to thinking in finite terms, with a clear beginning and end. Infinity challenges our understanding of time, space, and quantity, making it a difficult concept to wrap our brains around.</p><h2>2. Why is quantum mechanics considered to be one of the hardest topics in science?</h2><p>Quantum mechanics is the study of the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It is considered to be one of the hardest topics in science because it challenges our understanding of how the world works. The principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, are counterintuitive and often defy our classical understanding of physics.</p><h2>3. What is the hardest thing to understand about the theory of relativity?</h2><p>The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, describes how gravity affects the fabric of space and time. The hardest thing to understand about this theory is the concept of spacetime, where space and time are intertwined and affected by the presence of mass. It can be difficult to wrap our brains around the idea that time can be relative and not constant.</p><h2>4. Why is the concept of parallel universes so mind-boggling?</h2><p>The concept of parallel universes, also known as the multiverse theory, suggests that there are multiple universes existing alongside our own. This idea is difficult to understand because it challenges our perception of reality and raises questions about the nature of existence. It is also difficult to prove or disprove, making it a controversial topic in the scientific community.</p><h2>5. What makes the concept of the Big Bang so difficult to comprehend?</h2><p>The Big Bang theory is the prevailing explanation for the origin of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity and expanded rapidly, leading to the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. This concept can be difficult to wrap our brains around because it is hard to imagine something coming from nothing and the vastness of the universe can be overwhelming to comprehend.</p>

1. What is the concept of infinity and why is it difficult to understand?

The concept of infinity refers to something that has no limit or end. It is difficult to understand because our brains are used to thinking in finite terms, with a clear beginning and end. Infinity challenges our understanding of time, space, and quantity, making it a difficult concept to wrap our brains around.

2. Why is quantum mechanics considered to be one of the hardest topics in science?

Quantum mechanics is the study of the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It is considered to be one of the hardest topics in science because it challenges our understanding of how the world works. The principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, are counterintuitive and often defy our classical understanding of physics.

3. What is the hardest thing to understand about the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, describes how gravity affects the fabric of space and time. The hardest thing to understand about this theory is the concept of spacetime, where space and time are intertwined and affected by the presence of mass. It can be difficult to wrap our brains around the idea that time can be relative and not constant.

4. Why is the concept of parallel universes so mind-boggling?

The concept of parallel universes, also known as the multiverse theory, suggests that there are multiple universes existing alongside our own. This idea is difficult to understand because it challenges our perception of reality and raises questions about the nature of existence. It is also difficult to prove or disprove, making it a controversial topic in the scientific community.

5. What makes the concept of the Big Bang so difficult to comprehend?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing explanation for the origin of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity and expanded rapidly, leading to the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. This concept can be difficult to wrap our brains around because it is hard to imagine something coming from nothing and the vastness of the universe can be overwhelming to comprehend.