Troubleshooting Titration: Hair & Water Effects

• Thread starter ASidd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the conversation is about a student's concern regarding the accuracy of their titration experiment in school. They had accidentally added a tiny piece of hair and a few droplets of water in their solution. The teacher advises to redo the experiment for better accuracy, but also mentions that the errors caused by the hair and droplets may not be significant. The student is also reminded to rinse the funnel and collect the rinsing water to ensure the accuracy of their final volume.
ASidd
Okay this maybe a silly question but I had to ask.

In school we are making standard solution to perform a titration. To do this we measured in grams a sample of oxalic acid and mixed in water and then made the solution up to mark in a volumetric flask.

When I did my titration; as I was mixing my oxalic acid in water I realized there was a tiny very tiny piece of hair in it. I have no idea how it got there. It was really small BUT our teacher said that we had to be sure to measure the mass of the acid used very accurately.
So my question is how much can a tiny piece of hair affect the mass??

Also When I had made my solution up to mark in the volumetric flask, I transferred it into a bottle using a funnel which was slightly wet. It probably had 3-4 droplets of water in it.

Can a few droplets cause significant changes in volume? Would it be better to start again and make a new solution?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ideally and if you have the time and possibility, then yes, do it again. Also for the sake of your morale. It will go better the second time.

Then I do not think the errors are very great. There is probably nothing soluble in the hair to give greater than your inevitable % of error; the droplets in the filter might be more but if you filtered 100 or 200 ml I doubt they make measurable difference. Ideally again keep your bad solution and titrate that as well as the good new solution, so then you actually see. But if there are any differences this is still not significant unless you titrate the same solution say 3 times and see what the errors, the variation between the same titrations, are.

Ideally. :wink:

Wet funnel shouldn't matter, as long as the droplets didn't contain anything that could react with your titrant (or titrated substance). You should rinse the funnel with a distilled water after transferring the solution, to make sure none of your substance was left there (which means you should collect rinsing water!). You were diluting it to the mark, so the final volume is under control.

What is titration and why is it used?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It involves adding a known amount of a reagent to a solution to react with the substance being tested, and then measuring the amount of reagent used to reach a specific endpoint. Titration is commonly used in chemistry, biology, and environmental science to analyze the composition of a solution.

What are the common sources of error in titration?

There are several potential sources of error in titration, including inaccurate measurement of reagents, human error in reading the endpoint, and contamination of the solution. Other factors such as temperature, air bubbles, and improper technique can also affect the accuracy of the results. It is important to carefully control and monitor these variables to ensure reliable and accurate results.

What are some tips for troubleshooting titration?

If you encounter problems during titration, the first step is to carefully review your procedure and make sure you are following it correctly. Check your equipment for any defects or malfunctions, and make sure you are using the correct concentrations of reagents. If your results are consistently inaccurate, it may be necessary to repeat the titration multiple times and take the average. You can also consult with a colleague or supervisor for assistance in identifying and resolving any issues.

How does hair and water affect titration?

Hair and water can both have an impact on titration results. Hair can contain oils and other substances that can interfere with the reaction and affect the endpoint. It is important to thoroughly clean and dry the hair before conducting a titration. Water can also affect titration results if it contains impurities or other substances that can react with the reagents. It is important to use purified or distilled water when performing titrations to avoid any potential interference.

What are some alternative methods to titration for analyzing substances?

There are several alternative methods to titration for analyzing substances, including spectrophotometry, chromatography, and mass spectrometry. Spectrophotometry measures the absorption of light by a substance to determine its concentration. Chromatography separates different components of a mixture based on their physical and chemical properties. Mass spectrometry measures the mass and charge of ions to identify and quantify substances. These methods may be more accurate and precise than titration in certain circumstances, but they also have their own limitations and require specialized equipment and training.