Quick question on Newton's third law & energy conservation

In summary: No, I actually find it refreshing that there are so many sources out there that explain things in an open and straightforward manner. It makes it easier for me to understand what is being explained.
DavidDoakes
I have a quick question on Newton's third law.

When a 100kg astronaut in space is holding a 100 kg rock and then pushes it away from him with 50 joules of energy (the kinetic energy put into the system) and a second astronaut (observer) is watching, sitting still relatively to the location where the other astronaut was holding the rock and generating the 50 joules before the push, does the observer see the rock float to the left of him with 1 m/s and the astronaut float to the right of him with 1 m/s or does he see the rock float to the left with 0.707 m/s and the astronaut to the right with 0.707 m/s? In other words, is the total kinetic energy he observes equal to 100 joules or 50 joules?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi DavidDoakes, welcome to PF!
DavidDoakes said:
pushes it away from him with 50 joules of energy (the kinetic energy put into the system) ... is the total kinetic energy he observes equal to 100 joules or 50 joules?
Energy is conserved. What does that imply for your question?

DaleSpam said:
Hi DavidDoakes, welcome to PF!Energy is conserved. What does that imply for your question?

I'd say both the astronaut and rock would have speeds of 0.707 m/s relative to the observer (otherwise you can could catch both the astronaut's and the rock's kinetic energy, transport it to the center of the system and use half of it to repeat the whole thing, gaining 50 joules of free energy every time), but there are so many (popular) sources out there that explain it like they would have speeds of 1 m/s relative to the observer, so I was wondering if I missed something.

DavidDoakes said:
I'd say both the astronaut and rock would have speeds of 0.707 m/s relative to the observer (otherwise you can could catch both the astronaut's and the rock's kinetic energy, transport it to the center of the system and use half of it to repeat the whole thing, gaining 50 joules of free energy every time)
You are correct, both in your conclusion and your reasoning.

If you look at a more detailed analysis, suppose the astronaut has an arm length of 1 m and pushes with 50 N force. If the astronaut were pushing on a very massive object that did not displace much then he would travel 1 m during the push and all 50 J would go into his KE. If the astronaut were pushing on a very light object so that he did not displace much then that object would travel 1 m during the push and all 50 J would go into the object. Since the mass is the same as the astronaut, neither of these ideal situations occur, instead both the astronaut and the rock move 0.5 m during the push, so each gets 25 J.

Last edited:
DaleSpam said:
You are correct, both in your conclusion and your reasoning.

If you look at a more detailed analysis, suppose the astronaut has an arm length of 1 m and pushes with 50 N force. If the astronaut were pushing on a very massive object that did not displace much then he would travel 1 m during the push and all 50 J would go into his KE. If the astronaut were pushing on a very light object so that he did not displace much then that object would travel 1 m during the push and all 50 J would go into the object. Since the mass is the same as the astronaut, neither of these ideal situations occur, instead both the astronaut and the rock move 0.5 m during the push, so each gets 25 J.

Thank you for clearing this up for me. Doesn't it bother you that so many sources explain this incorrectly (or at least in such a way that it's easy to interpret it incorrectly)?

1. What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that whenever an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal but opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's third law relate to energy conservation?

Newton's third law is closely related to the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This is because the forces involved in Newton's third law always occur in pairs, with one force being the action and the other being the reaction. This means that the energy used to produce the action force is equal to the energy produced by the reaction force, resulting in no net change in energy.

3. Can you give an example of Newton's third law in action?

A classic example of Newton's third law is when you push against a wall. The force you exert on the wall is the action force, and the reaction force is the wall pushing back against you with equal force. Another example is when a rocket is launched into space. The action force is the force produced by the rocket's engines pushing against the ground, and the reaction force is the Earth pushing back against the rocket, propelling it upwards.

4. Are there any exceptions to Newton's third law?

No, there are no exceptions to Newton's third law. It applies to all objects and forces, regardless of their size, speed, or direction. Even in cases where it may seem like the forces are not equal, such as a person standing on the ground, the ground is still exerting an equal reaction force back on the person, just in the opposite direction.

5. How is Newton's third law used in everyday life?

Newton's third law is used in various ways in everyday life. For example, it is the principle behind many sports, such as kicking a soccer ball or hitting a baseball. It is also essential in engineering and design, as engineers must consider the equal and opposite forces that will be exerted on a structure. Additionally, it is used in transportation, such as the propulsion of cars and airplanes.