Calculating the probability of a certain measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wave function made of a linear combination of spherical harmonics with complex coefficients. The person is asked to calculate the possible values of measurement for L^{2} and L_{z}, as well as the probability of obtaining those values. After some discussion, it is determined that the incorrect normalization was initially used, resulting in incorrect probabilities. The correct normalization is then applied and the correct probabilities are calculated.
Demon117

Homework Statement

This really is not a homework problem but I am studying for the qualifying exam upcoming. I came across an objective that I am not familiar with. I'm given a wave function made of a linear combination of spherical harmonics with complex coefficients. I'm asked to calculate the possible values of measurement for [itex]L^{2}[/itex] and [itex]L_{z}[/itex] which is of course straight forward. What I am unsure of though is it asks me to calculate the probability of obtaining those values. Perhaps I missed this in my undergraduate coursework somehow, but I'll list the wavefunction.

Homework Equations

[itex]\psi=A[(1+2i)Y_{3}^{-3}+(2-i)Y_{3}^{2}+\sqrt{10}Y_{2}^{2}][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already calculated the normalization constant A, and found it via integration and the orthogonality condition to be

[itex]A=\frac{1}{4}\sqrt{\frac{7}{6\pi}}[/itex]

I know the values of angular momentum [itex]L^{2}[/itex] are [itex]12\hbar^{2}[/itex] corresponding to [itex]\left|3,-3\right\rangle[/itex], and [itex]\left|3,2\right\rangle[/itex]. Also, [itex]6\hbar^{2}[/itex] corresponding to [itex]\left|2,2\right\rangle[/itex]. I am utterly lost on how to calculate this probability. I have tried this:

[itex]|\left\langle 3, m\right|A[(1+2i)\left|3,-3\right\rangle+(2-i)\left|3, 2\right\rangle+\sqrt{10}\left|2,2\right\rangle]|^{2}[/itex] for m = -3, 2

&

[itex]|\left\langle 2, 2\right|A[(1+2i)\left|3,-3\right\rangle+(2-i)\left|3, 2\right\rangle+\sqrt{10}\left|2,2\right\rangle]|^{2}[/itex]

This gives me values that do not add up to 1 as expected. Is this right, and if so perhaps I am doing it incorrectly? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually the functions ##Y^m_l## are normalized so they form an orthonormal set. If so, I don't see how you got the value for ##A##.

TSny said:
Usually the functions ##Y^m_l## are normalized so they form an orthonormal set. If so, I don't see how you got the value for ##A##.

That is true but then how else would I calculate the value for A if not by the condition,

[itex]\int\int Y_{l'}^{m'}\bar{Y_{l}^{m}}d\Omega = \frac{4\pi}{2l+1}\delta_{l,l'}\delta_{m,m'}[/itex]

where [itex]d\Omega = sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi [/itex] for [itex]0≤\theta≤\pi[/itex], and [itex]0≤\phi≤2\pi[/itex] ?

The condition, as always, is to calculate [itex]\int |\psi|^{2} dV[/itex]=1 over all space, is it not? According to this, and by orthogonality of the spherical harmonics the cross terms will cancel and the resulting integration yields the number I obtained. Perhaps I miss-calculated something.

OK, you are using a normalization of the spherical harmonics such that they are orthogonal but not orthonormal. See here for some different choices of normalization. [EDIT: I agree with your result for A for your normalization.]

The answers for the individual probabilities will depend on how the functions ##Y^m_l## are assumed to be normalized in the statement of the problem. But, nevertheless, the sum of the probabilities should add to 1.

The probability for measuring ##L^2 = 6\hbar^2## would be ##\frac{|<2,2|\psi>|^2}{|<\psi|\psi>|^2|<2,2|2,2>|^2}## if ##|2,2>## denotes ##Y^2_2##.

TSny said:
OK, you are using a normalization of the spherical harmonics such that they are orthogonal but not orthonormal. See here for some different choices of normalization. [EDIT: I agree with your result for A for your normalization.]

The answers for the individual probabilities will depend on how the functions ##Y^m_l## are assumed to be normalized in the statement of the problem. But, nevertheless, the sum of the probabilities should add to 1.

The probability for measuring ##L^2 = 6\hbar^2## would be ##\frac{|<2,2|\psi>|^2}{|<\psi|\psi>|^2|<2,2|2,2>|^2}## if ##|2,2>## denotes ##Y^2_2##.

So it turns out I used the wrong normalization. In that case my normalization constant becomes

[itex]A=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{5}}[/itex]

Such that the probabilities become, 1/4 each for measuring the [itex]12\hbar^{2}[/itex] and 1/2 for measuring the [itex]6\hbar^{2}[/itex]. This of course adds up to 1 as expected. Thanks for your help!

Looks good!

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations.

4. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many different fields, such as statistics, finance, and science. It can be used to make predictions and informed decisions, assess risk, and analyze data.

5. Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. A probability of 1 represents certainty, while a probability of 0 represents impossibility. Any number outside of this range would be considered invalid.