Solving Schroedinger Equation for a Step Potential

In summary, the problem asks to show that the given wave function \psi(x)=A\sin(kx-\phi_0) is a solution to the 1D-time-independent Schroedinger Equation for x<0, and to show that the general solution for x>0 is \psi(x)=Be^{{-x}/{\eta}}+Ce^{{x}/{\eta}}. By considering the behavior of the wave function at x=0, it can be shown that \phi_0=arctan(\eta k). The attempt at a solution involves trying to put the first solution into exponential form and the second solution into trigonometric form, but the desired result is not obtained. Further assistance is requested in
FishareFriend
Undergraduate Quantum Mechanics problem. However the course hasn't gone as far to include R or T so I'm assuming there must be a way to solve this without needing to know about those.

Homework Statement

Asked to show that [tex]\psi(x)=A\sin(kx-\phi_0)[/tex] is a solution to the 1D-time-independent Schroedinger Equation for [itex]x<0[/itex].
Then asked to show that the general solution for [itex]x>0[/itex] is [tex]\psi(x)=Be^{{-x}/{\eta}}+Ce^{{x}/{\eta}}[/tex].
Question then is, by considering how the wave function must behave at [itex]x=0[/itex], show that [tex]\phi_0=arctan(\eta k)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\psi(x)=A\sin(kx-\phi_0)\quad x<0[/tex]
[tex]\psi(x)=Be^{{-x}/{\eta}}+Ce^{{x}/{\eta}}\quad x>0[/tex]
[tex]\phi_0=arctan(\eta k)\quad x=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried various ways, attempting to put the first solution into exponential form, then attempting to put the second solution into trigonometric form. Neither of these seem to give the desired result, I just end up with [itex]i[/itex] everywhere. I also can't see how you get [itex]\eta k[/itex] out.
Feel like I'm missing a step or something in order to be able to solve this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
FishareFriend said:
Question then is, by considering how the wave function must behave at [itex]x=0[/itex],
So how does the wave function behave at [itex]x=0[/itex]?

And as x goes to +∞?

What is the Schrödinger Equation?

The Schrödinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926.

What is a Step Potential?

A Step Potential is a potential energy barrier that abruptly changes from one value to another. In quantum mechanics, it is often used as a model for a particle encountering a sudden change in energy.

Why is Solving the Schrödinger Equation for a Step Potential important?

Solving the Schrödinger Equation for a Step Potential allows us to understand how particles behave when they encounter sudden changes in energy. This is important because it helps us understand the behavior of quantum systems, which are essential for many technological applications.

What is the mathematical form of the Schrödinger Equation for a Step Potential?

The mathematical form of the Schrödinger Equation for a Step Potential is a second-order differential equation, known as the time-independent Schrödinger Equation. It can be written as:

∇²Ψ + (2m/ħ²)(E - V(x))Ψ = 0

where ∇² is the Laplacian operator, m is the mass of the particle, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, E is the energy of the particle, and V(x) is the potential energy function.

How is the Schrödinger Equation for a Step Potential solved?

The Schrödinger Equation for a Step Potential is solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, eigenvalue methods, and perturbation theory. The solutions to the equation give us information about the energy levels and wave functions of the particle in the step potential. These solutions can also be used to calculate important quantities such as the transmission and reflection coefficients for the potential barrier.