On the axioms of vector space

In summary, the conversation discusses the two axioms that define a vector space, specifically the relationship between them and whether one can be derived as a special case of the other. The flaw in this thinking is that the second axiom adds the notion that all vectors in the space can be expressed as 1\cdotX, while the first axiom only guarantees this for certain vectors. The conversation concludes that it is better to keep the second axiom as it is, rather than trying to substitute it with a more complicated one.
cosmic dust
Hello, I'd like to make a, probably stupid, question regarding the axioms that define a vetor space. Among them, there are the axioms:

λ[itex]\cdot[/itex](μ[itex]\cdot[/itex]X) = (λμ)[itex]\cdot[/itex]Χ (1) and 1[itex]\cdot[/itex]Χ=Χ (2)

for all λ,μ in the field and for all X in the vector space, where 1 is the identity of the multiplication on the field and "[itex]\cdot[/itex]" indicates the multiplication of a scalar with a vector. So, my question is: can axiom (2) derived as a special case of (1) and, therefore, is not really an axiom?

I ask this because, setting λ = μ = 1 in (1), we get:

1[itex]\cdot[/itex](1[itex]\cdot[/itex]X) = 1[itex]\cdot[/itex]Χ

Since X is an abitrary vector, 1[itex]\cdot[/itex]Χ will also be an arbitrary vector, say Y. Then the above equation reads:

1[itex]\cdot[/itex]Y = Y

for all Y in the vector space. But this is "axiom" (2)! I understand that, since both axioms are used in the standard definition of vector space, they should indeed be indepentend, despite the above objection. So what is the flaw in my thought about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as showing it for all vectors in the vector space, is it obvious that if I give you an arbitrary vector Y that you can find some vector X such that 1⋅X = Y?In fact here's a simple counterexample: Let my "vector space" be R2 with regular addition and with scalar multiplication defined by

[tex] \lambda(a,b) = (\lambda a, 0)[/tex]

Let's check the other axioms. Since addition is untouched all the addition only axioms are still true. For scalar multiplication:
Distributivity:
[tex] (\lambda+\mu)(a,b) = \left( (\lambda+\mu)a,0 \right) = (\lambda a,0) + (\mu a, 0) = \lambda(a,b) + \mu(a,b) [/tex]
Other distributivity:
[tex] \lambda\left( (a,b) + (c,d) \right) = \lambda(a+c,b+d) = (\lambda a+\lambda c, 0) = (\lambda a,0) + (\lambda c,0) = \lambda(a,b) + \lambda(c,d) [/tex]
Associativity of multiplication:
[tex]\mu \left( \lambda(a,b) \right) = \mu (\lambda a, 0) = (\mu \lambda a, 0) = \left( \mu \lambda \right) (a,b) [/tex]

So great! We have ourselves a good ol' fashion vector space

Last edited:
cosmic dust said:
Since X is an abitrary vector, 1[itex]\cdot[/itex]Χ will also be an arbitrary vector, say Y. Then the above equation reads:

1[itex]\cdot[/itex]Y = Y

for all Y in the vector space. But this is "axiom" (2)! I understand that, since both axioms are used in the standard definition of vector space, they should indeed be indepentend, despite the above objection. So what is the flaw in my thought about this?
The flaw is that Y is not an arbitrary vector in the space. It is a member of the subset of the vector space that can be expressed as [itex]1 \cdot X[/itex], where X is some member of the vector space. What axiom (2) adds is that it says all members of of the vector space can be expressed in this form, and in particular, [itex]1 \cdot X = X[/itex].

So, that would be true if the function:

1[itex]\cdot[/itex] : V→V , 1[itex]\cdot[/itex]:X→1[itex]\cdot[/itex]X

is surjective? But this is an extra axiom, more complicated than it's substitute (that is (2)). Better keep (2) as it is... :smile:

Thank's for your replies!

I would like to address your question and clarify any confusion you may have about the axioms of vector space. First of all, it is important to understand that the axioms of vector space are the fundamental building blocks that define a vector space. They are necessary conditions that must be satisfied in order for a set to be considered a vector space. Therefore, all of the axioms, including (1) and (2), are equally important and cannot be derived from each other.

To address your specific question, let's look at axiom (2) which states that the scalar 1 multiplied by any vector X must equal X. This axiom is not a special case of (1) because it does not involve any other scalar or vector. It is simply stating that the identity element of the scalar field must behave in a certain way when multiplied by a vector.

On the other hand, axiom (1) involves two scalars, λ and μ, and a vector X. It states that the result of multiplying λ by the result of multiplying μ by X is the same as multiplying the product of λ and μ by X. This axiom is necessary in order to define the distributive property of vector multiplication.

To summarize, both axioms (1) and (2) are necessary and cannot be derived from each other. They serve different purposes in defining a vector space and work together to create a consistent and useful mathematical framework for studying vectors. I hope this helps clarify any confusion and highlights the importance of all the axioms in defining a vector space.

1. What are the axioms of vector space?

The axioms of vector space are a set of properties that define the behavior of vectors in a given space. These include properties such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, existence of a zero vector, and distributivity.

2. Why are the axioms of vector space important?

The axioms of vector space provide a framework for studying and understanding vector operations and properties. They also allow for the development of mathematical tools and techniques for solving problems in various fields, such as physics and engineering.

3. How do the axioms of vector space relate to linear independence?

The axioms of vector space are closely related to the concept of linear independence. In order for a set of vectors to be linearly independent, they must satisfy the axioms of vector space. Conversely, if a set of vectors satisfies the axioms of vector space, they are guaranteed to be linearly independent.

4. Can the axioms of vector space be generalized to other types of spaces?

Yes, the axioms of vector space can be generalized to other types of spaces, such as function spaces or matrix spaces. However, these spaces may have additional or modified axioms that are specific to their properties and operations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the axioms of vector space?

Yes, the axioms of vector space have numerous real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, they are used to model and analyze physical systems, design efficient algorithms, and create realistic 3D graphics in video games and movies.