Discover the Largest Known Prime: 2^57,885,161-1

• Thread starter MostlyHarmless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary: By the time someone Manages to find one and prove it works in a domain of ℝ the inflation will have made 1m dollars worth a sizeable 7 course lunch.A lunch at Golden Corral you say? Well.. go on..In summary, the conversation discussed the discovery of a new "largest" prime number, ##2^{(57,885,161)}-1##, with 17,425,170 digits which would take up 22.5 MB when written out in plain text. The conversation also touched upon the limitations of computing power in finding larger primes and the use of the Lucas-Lehmer algorithm. There was also mention of a foundation offering a reward for finding a function that returns a
MostlyHarmless
This news is a little dated, but I still found it interesting and wanted to see what everyone else thought about this years discovery of a new "largest" prime: ##2^{(57,885,161)}-1## its 17,425,170 digits long and would span all 7 harry potter books twice. Written out in plain text it would take up 22.5mb!

Is the size of primes we find only going to be limited by our computing power? Is there any other way of finding mega primes that aren't Mersenne primes(##2^p-1##)?(Fun facts credited to Adam Spencer from his fascinating TED talk which can be found here: Adam Spencer: Why I fell in love with monster prime numbers #TED : http://on.ted.com/gmnG)

Likes 2 people
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Jesse H. said:
its 17,425,170 digits long and (..) Written out in plain text it would take up 22.5mb!

And not 17.5 MB?

Jesse H. said:
its 17,425,170 digits long and would span all 7 harry potter books twice. Written out in plain text it would take up 22.5mb!
Borek said:
And not 17.5 MB?

You forgot about the commas after every three digits :smile:

AlephZero said:
You forgot about the commas after every three digits :smile:

[tex]\frac 4 3 \times 17425170 = 23233560[/tex]

Now 22.5 MB is 0.7 MB short.

Hey, I was just posting what I read and learned from that talk, lol.

Borek said:
[tex]\frac 4 3 \times 17425170 = 23233560[/tex]

Now 22.5 MB is 0.7 MB short.

FAIL ## \frac{223233560}{2^{20}} = 22.5 ##

Interestingly, its exactly 22.5 MB.

Depends on the MB. But OK, if you select two arbitrary conventions, you can get this result.

I guess with two arbitrary conventions you can get ANY result :tongue2:

Jesse H. said:
This news is a little dated, but I still found it interesting and wanted to see what everyone else thought about this years discovery of a new "largest" prime: ##2^{(57,885,161)}-1## its 17,425,170 digits long and would span all 7 harry potter books twice. Written out in plain text it would take up 22.5mb!

Is the size of primes we find only going to be limited by our computing power? Is there any other way of finding mega primes that aren't Mersenne primes(##2^p-1##)?

(Fun facts credited to Adam Spencer from his fascinating TED talk which can be found here: Adam Spencer: Why I fell in love with monster prime numbers #TED : http://on.ted.com/gmnG)

Enjoyed video. Thanks. Looks like they are limited by our computing power and although there are methods to finding other primes, Mersenne primes take less effort to do so. You can google Primes, Mersennine primes, and the Lucas-Lehmer primiality test if you wish to learn more about it.

jackmell said:
You can google Primes, Mersennine primes, and the Lucas-Lehmer primiality test if you wish to learn more about it.

Save time googling, start here.

I got a better idea. Since Jesse brought it up, how about he implement the Lucas-Lehmer algorithm in say Mathematica, on a number [itex]2^p-1[/itex] that he believes can be tested for primality in 9 hours, set it running before bed time say 10:00p, run it all night till 6:00a, and then report the results for us here.

Ok, little more work for you Jesse. Got time? Say do this for a group of (small) mersennine primes, record how long it takes to determine primality with your software/hardware setup, plot the points, then extrapolate how long it should take to compute the other known ones, see if they agree with known times, then suggest how long it would take for newer ones.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound completely "not-fun" but alas I don't have an over abundance a time And while I did get a free Mathematica license from my school I haven't installed it yet because my computer is well.. sub-par. :) maybe this summer..

Wasn't it proven that there is no function that returns a prime for every integer? Aside the wow factor, is there an application for such discovery? :D

Whether it was proven that one cannot exist I'm not entirely sure, but as fas as application, there is a foundation offering a substantial sum of money to find one, 1 million dollars I think? :)

lendav_rott said:
Wasn't it proven that there is no function that returns a prime for every integer?

Unless I misunderstand what you mean, implementing function that will take n as a parameter and will return n-th prime, is trivial. Actually it was already done, many times. See for example this thread.

I can't guarantee these functions will work fast, nor can I guarantee your computer will have enough memory to run them for every n, but these are technical details.

Yeah, I think the problem is you can't possibly test all values for n. But if you are asking about the expression I posted in the op, that doesn't always work and simply describes the form of a specific type of prime number.

ROFL, I am just working on a program, so when I saw "function" I thought in terms of a program function, not a mathematical one.

Borek said:
ROFL, I am just working on a program, so when I saw "function" I thought in terms of a program function, not a mathematical one.

Does the target hardware work in native decimal or is it arbitrarily implemented in binary? :tongue2:

Jesse H. said:
Whether it was proven that one cannot exist I'm not entirely sure, but as fas as application, there is a foundation offering a substantial sum of money to find one, 1 million dollars I think? :)

By the time someone Manages to find one and prove it works in a domain of ℝ the inflation will have made 1m dollars worth a sizeable 7 course lunch.

A lunch at Golden Corral you say? Well.. go on..

1. What is the largest known prime number?

The largest known prime number is 2^57,885,161-1, which has over 17 million digits.

2. How was this prime number discovered?

This prime number was discovered through a collaborative effort by a global network of volunteers participating in the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) project.

3. What is the significance of finding large prime numbers?

Finding large prime numbers has both practical and theoretical significance. It helps in cryptography and data encryption, and also contributes to our understanding of number theory and the distribution of prime numbers.

4. How long did it take to discover this prime number?

The discovery of this prime number took over 12 years of computing time, with thousands of computers working together to complete the necessary calculations.

5. Is it possible to find an even larger prime number?

Yes, it is possible to find an even larger prime number. In fact, the GIMPS project continues to search for the next largest prime number and has already discovered several other record-breaking primes in recent years.