How to find the X coordinate of a point using trigonometry?

In summary, to determine the X coordinate of the red point in the given right triangle, you can use the trigonometric function tan(x) which represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side. By knowing the length of the opposite side and the angle between the adjacent side and the hypotenuse, you can use the formula X = 40/tan(35) to find the X coordinate. Similarly, if you are given the adjacent side and angle, you can find the length of the hypotenuse using the formula hypotenuse = adjacent side / cos(angle).
Miroslava89
How to determine the X coordinate of the red point if i know the Y coordinate and the angle between the adjacent side and the hypotenuse in the formed right triangle(see the image)? I don't know the length of the hypotenuse and the adjacent side of the triangle, i know only the angle between the adjacent side and the hypotenuse and the length of the opposite side(the Y coordinate of the red point). Let's say that Y is 40(i.e. the length of the opposite side) and the angle is 35 degrees. How to determine the X coordinate? Or in other words the length of the adjacent side in the triangle. I asked this on stackoverflow.com but the answer i got wasn't helpful at all. It's very simple question, my native language is not english but i think it's pretty clear what I'm asking.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4099/ce4n.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The main trigonometric functions are sin(x), cos(x) and the one you are going to want to use, tan(x). sin(x) is literally the ratio between the opposite side and hypotenuse of a right triangle with an angle of x in it, cos(x) is the ratio between the adjacent side and hypotenuse of a right triangle with an angle of x in it, and tan(x) is the ratio between the opposite and adjacent sides of a right triangle with an angle of x in it.

As a side point, it should be clear that tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x).

Your example right triangle has an adjacent leg of length X to be determined, the opposite leg has a length of 40, and your angle is 35 degrees. So we have

tan(35) = 40/X
X = 40/tan(35).

You can calculate tan(35) on your calculator (possibly needing the sin(x)/cos(x) thing depending on the type) or by using any of a number of websites. You do have to be careful because there are two ways of measuring angles - radians and degrees - and a lot of places might assume you are inputting your angle in radians. You should try getting tan(35) from a computing source yourself, and the number you should get is very close to .7As an exercise to practice, if that point has an X coordinate of 12 and an angle of 50 degrees, what is the length of the hypotenuse?

Office_Shredder said:
As an exercise to practice, if that point has an X coordinate of 12 and an angle of 50 degrees, what is the length of the hypotenuse?

So, if the adjacent side is 12 and if by "an angle of 50 degrees" you mean the angle formed by the hypotenuse and the adjacent side(like in my drawing), then cos(50) = 12 / hypotenuse => 0.642 = 12 / hypotenuse => 12 / 0.642 = 18.67

Thanks. Actually the answer on the website i mentioned was helpful but i didn't paid much attention to it initially. But your answer is more uuh...descriptive and generally better, so thank you again.

Last edited:
You don't mention tangent which is what Office Shredder said was the function you need. tangent is "opposite side over near side" so, in this xy- coordinate system [itex]tan(\theta)= y/x[/tex]. Given that [tex]\theta= 35[/tex] degrees and y= 40, [tex]x= y/tan(\theta)= 40/tan(35)= 40/.7002[/tex].

Miro, that looks good to me.

Halls, he didn't use tan because he was answering the other practice question I gave him

1. What is the formula for finding the X coordinate of a point using trigonometry?

The formula for finding the X coordinate of a point using trigonometry is X = r * cos(theta), where r is the distance from the origin to the point and theta is the angle between the line connecting the point to the origin and the positive x-axis.

2. How do I determine the value of r in the formula?

The value of r can be determined by using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (r) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In other words, r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2), where x and y are the coordinates of the point.

3. Can I use trigonometry to find the X coordinate of a point in any quadrant?

Yes, the formula for finding the X coordinate of a point using trigonometry can be used in any quadrant. However, the value of theta may need to be adjusted depending on which quadrant the point is located in.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the X coordinate of a point?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the slope of the line connecting the point to the origin or using the distance formula. However, using trigonometry is often the most efficient method for finding the X coordinate.

5. What do I do if the given point is not on the Cartesian plane?

If the given point is not on the Cartesian plane, you can use the distance formula to determine the distance from the origin to the point and then use trigonometry to find the X coordinate as usual.