What is the terminology for this geometry ratio?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of aspect ratio and whether there is a specific term for the ratio of parallel sides in a trapezoid. The participants conclude that there is no known term for this ratio due to the lack of practical use in real-world applications.
doubled
So if we imagine a rectangle. The aspect ratio is width/height.
What if you want the ratio of the parallel sides? Is there a terminnology for that ratio?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That ratio is always unity. Why would you need a special word for that?

Sorry, my example was a bad one. The actual shape I'm interested in is a trapezoid which I think, theoretically, does not have an aspect ratio defined, but for the purposes of my project I have one defined. If you imagine a trapezoid with the parallel sides oriented vertically, is there a ratio for the parallel sides?

Unclear: do you want to know whether a special name for this ratio exits, or do you want to find some equation for it?

The name.

I am not aware of any special for that.

Nor am I. The reason there's a name for the ratio of the length to the width of a rectangle is because TV screens, theater screens, and computer monitors are all rectangular, but can have different aspect ratios. There isn't any similar real-world use for trapezoidal image formats, so it's doubtful anyone has come up with a name.

1. What is a geometry ratio?

A geometry ratio is a comparison of two quantities in a geometric figure, expressed as a fraction or ratio.

2. What are the common terms used to describe a geometry ratio?

The most common terms used to describe a geometry ratio are proportion, scale, and ratio.

3. How is a geometry ratio calculated?

A geometry ratio is calculated by dividing one quantity by another quantity in a geometric figure. For example, in a triangle, the ratio of the length of one side to another side would be calculated by dividing the length of one side by the length of the other side.

4. What is the difference between a geometry ratio and a proportion?

A geometry ratio is a comparison of two quantities in a geometric figure, while a proportion is an equation that states that two ratios are equal. In other words, a proportion is a statement that two geometry ratios are equivalent.

5. How is a geometry ratio used in real life?

Geometry ratios are used in various real-life applications, such as architecture, engineering, and design. For example, architects use geometry ratios to ensure that the dimensions of a building are proportional and aesthetically pleasing. Engineers use geometry ratios to design structures that can withstand different forces and loads. Designers use geometry ratios to create visually appealing designs that are proportional and balanced.