What is the proper notation for angle wrapping in a mathematical function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proper notation for representing angle wrapping in a mathematical function. The suggested approach is to use the modulo operation to find the remainder after dividing by 180 or 360. The notation for this function would be written as "y = exp([\theta]^{180}_{-180})".
billiards
Hi I am looking for the proper notation to represent angle wrapping in a mathematical function.

For example if I have a function of the form:

y=exp(θ)

(and θ is an angle in degrees.)

How do I write this function to explicitly assert that: -180 ≤ θ < 180 ?

So that for example if one had an angle of numerical value 190, then θ = -170.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take your number A, divide it by 360. If the new number's absolute value is less than or equal to 1/2, keep the number A. Otherwise, subtract 360 from A if it's positive, add 360 if A is negative. Then repeat process with division by 360.

Sure. To be clear though, I'm not looking for the numerical recipe. I'm looking for the notation. How would one write this in a formula?

i.e.

[itex] y = exp(\theta) [/itex]

would be written like how, something like this? :

[itex] y = exp([\theta]^{180}_{-180}) [/itex] ?

I would just state explicitly as a sentence "for angles between -180 and 180, define y as..."

1. What is angle wrapping and why is it important in scientific notation?

Angle wrapping, also known as phase wrapping, is a method used to represent angles in a compact and consistent way. It is important in scientific notation because it helps to avoid ambiguity and makes calculations involving angles more accurate.

2. How is angle wrapping different from simply using degrees or radians?

Unlike degrees or radians, angle wrapping takes into account the periodic nature of angles. This means that an angle of 365 degrees, for example, would be wrapped back to 5 degrees, as it is equivalent to one full rotation plus an additional 5 degrees.

3. What is the most commonly used notation for angle wrapping?

The most commonly used notation for angle wrapping is the modulo function, denoted by the symbol "%". This function takes the value of an angle and wraps it within a specified range, often 0 to 360 degrees or -180 to 180 degrees.

4. Can angle wrapping be applied to negative angles?

Yes, angle wrapping can be applied to both positive and negative angles. The wrapping range for negative angles would typically be from -180 to 180 degrees, where angles greater than 180 degrees would be wrapped back to their equivalent negative angle.

5. How does angle wrapping affect trigonometric functions?

Angle wrapping does not affect the values of trigonometric functions, as they are calculated using the same principles regardless of the notation used for angles. However, using angle wrapping can make it easier to work with periodic functions and avoid errors in calculations involving angles.