Tipping point for box on incline

In summary, The conversation is about designing an alarm-hourglass and determining at what point a box attached to a string and pulley system will reach its tipping point. The participants discuss the mechanics of the system and suggest ways to calculate the weight needed for the box to start rotating. They also consider the potential for the box to continue tipping once it starts rotating.
anerky
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a problem that I came up with while trying to design an alarm-hourglass for myself..
I have math experience up to differential equations, but no real contact with physics, so I'm asking here.

Given the situation in the picture: a mass suspended from a string (whose mass is being increased at a constant rate), wound around a pulley (whose frictional coefficient I have yet to test, but can be assumed arbitrary for now), and finally attached to the uppermost edge of a box of height h, with a square base of sides h/3. This box is on an inclined plane with an angle of theta from horizontal (friction prevents the box from moving).

Everything is fixed, except the increasing mass and the box.

At what point does the box reach the tipping point?
(I'll try to figure it out later just through geometry, intuition and the calculus, but would really appreciate some insight)

Attachments

• thingy.jpg
    thingy.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 544
Physics news on Phys.org
As drawn I don't see how the pulley works. As the weight falls it appears the string attached to the block unwinds so it doesn't pull the block over.

Why not forget the pulley (initially) and just attach the weight to the corner of the block? I'll assume you have made that change...

Assuming it doesn't slip down the slope, at some point the block will start to rotate anticlockwise (pivot) about its bottom left hand corner. You can calculate the weight required for that by summing the moments (aka torques) about the left hand corner (the pivot). If we assume clockwise is positive then if the sum of the torques goes negative it will start to rotate anticlockwise.

There will be two torques to be evaluated each calculated as

Torque = force * perpendicular (horizontal) distance from the pivot point.

The two torques are..

Clockwise : The mass of the block * g * the horizontal distance between it's CoG and the pivot

Anti clockwise: The mass of the weight * g * the horizontal distance between the string and the pivot

Sum these taking care to use the correct sign. Work out when the sum goes negative.

Once the block starts to rotate I believe it will continue to tip because of the way the distances change (increasing on the left and reducing on the right, so the anticlockwise torque gets larger as it rotates).

Last edited:

1. What is a "tipping point" for a box on an incline?

The tipping point refers to the angle at which the box on an incline will start to slide down due to the force of gravity overcoming the force of friction holding it in place.

2. How is the tipping point calculated?

The tipping point can be calculated using the equation tanθ = μ, where θ is the angle of the incline and μ is the coefficient of static friction between the box and the incline's surface.

3. What factors can affect the tipping point?

The coefficient of static friction, the weight of the box, and the angle of the incline are all factors that can affect the tipping point. Other variables such as surface roughness and external forces can also play a role.

4. Why is the tipping point important to understand?

Understanding the tipping point helps us predict when an object on an incline will start to slide, which is important for safety reasons. It also helps us understand the relationship between friction and gravity.

5. How can the tipping point be applied in real life?

The concept of the tipping point can be applied in various fields, such as engineering and physics. For example, it can be used to design safe ramps for vehicles, determine the stability of structures on slopes, and calculate the maximum angle for a ski slope.