What do I need on the final to get an A in the class?

• Thread starter ProBasket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grades
In summary, to calculate your overall grade for a class, you need to know the weighting of each assignment or exam and multiply each grade by its respective weighting. Weighted grades take into account the difficulty or importance of each assignment or exam, while unweighted grades treat all assignments and exams equally. To determine your letter grade based on your percentage, a percentage of 90-100% is an A, 80-89% is a B, 70-79% is a C, 60-69% is a D, and anything below 60% is an F. Whether or not you can improve your grade with a final exam depends on its weighting, and to calculate what grade you need on the final exam to get a
ProBasket
let's say i had 90% on my exams, worth a total of 30%. Also, on homework i have a total of 85% which is worth a total of 40%. i want to know what i need to get on the final if the final is worth 30% of my grades? 90% is an A in the class.

(.30)*(.90) + (.40)*(.85) + x = .90

i thought it would be something like that, but it doesn't seem correct

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You should have:

(.30)*(.90) + (.40)*(.85) + (.30)*x = .90

Which means x = 0.97

i forgot the .30 somehow, thanks

1. How do I calculate my overall grade for a class?

To calculate your overall grade, you will need to know the weighting of each assignment or exam in the class. Multiply each grade by its respective weighting and then add all of the results together. This will give you your total grade for the class.

2. What is the difference between weighted and unweighted grades?

Weighted grades take into account the difficulty or importance of each assignment or exam, while unweighted grades treat all assignments and exams equally. Weighted grades are often used to calculate a final grade, while unweighted grades are used to determine a student's progress throughout the course.

3. How do I determine my letter grade based on my percentage?

Each school or institution may have their own grading scale, but generally, a percentage of 90-100% is an A, 80-89% is a B, 70-79% is a C, 60-69% is a D, and anything below 60% is an F.

4. Can I improve my grade if I do well on the final exam?

It depends on the weighting of the final exam in the class. If the final exam has a high weighting, then it can significantly impact your overall grade. However, if the final exam has a low weighting, it may not have as much of an impact on your grade.

5. How do I calculate what grade I need on the final exam to get a certain overall grade?

To calculate what grade you need on the final exam, you will need to know the weight of the final exam in the class and the current grades you have in the class. Subtract your current grade from the grade you want to achieve, then divide that number by the weighting of the final exam. This will give you the minimum grade you need to get on the final exam to achieve your desired overall grade.