Turbofan Combustor Aero Design: Getting ready for interview

In summary, the individual is looking for help with their aero design skills and is asking for suggestions on what topics they should focus on to improve their skills.
Saladsamurai
Hello! I recently applied for a "Combustor Aero Design" position at GE aviation and I am very optimistic that I will at least get called in for in interview. The position wants someone with 3 years of experience in an engineering position. I only have 2, but I still think I have an advantage because I work for a contractor who works almost exclusively for GE aviation (we are right up the street). So for 2 years I have been working exclusively on GE aviation engine components.

Fortunately, all of my design experience has all been in the combustor section of the engine. The downside is that my experience has been solely 'mechanical' design and not 'aero' design.

So here is where I could use some suggestions. I am reviewing all of the work that I have done from a mechanical design standpoint so that I can speak intelligently about it. I would also like to do some review on my aero since I have not used it since college.

Since aero is such a big topic, I was hoping there might be somebody with combustor aero experience that could suggest a few topics that might be good to brush up on. I don't expect to 'trick' anyone into thinking I am a pro, nor would I want to. But I think some review is in order and I would like to focus on the most relevant topics first if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just make sure they see you as a person for whom it is no problem to quickly absorb the knowledge required to do the job.

If you have access to proceedings of the combustion institute, you might want to check relevant invited/plenary lecture papers, or a relevant review paper from progress in energy and combustion science. There are probably other review journals that are more engineering oriented. This will give you a compact overview of what is going on in the field in the last decade or so.

1. What is the purpose of a turbofan combustor in aircraft engines?

The primary purpose of a turbofan combustor is to efficiently burn fuel and generate high-temperature, high-pressure gases that drive the turbine and ultimately produce thrust to power the aircraft. It also helps to reduce engine noise and emissions.

2. What factors are considered when designing a turbofan combustor?

The design of a turbofan combustor takes into account several factors, including air and fuel distribution, combustion efficiency, material properties, and thermal management. It also considers aerodynamics, heat transfer, and structural integrity to ensure safe and reliable operation.

3. How does a turbofan combustor differ from other types of combustors?

A turbofan combustor is specifically designed for use in aircraft engines and differs from other types of combustors in terms of size, weight, operating conditions, and performance requirements. It typically has a more compact design and operates at higher temperatures and pressures due to the high performance demands of aircraft engines.

4. What are the major challenges in designing a turbofan combustor?

The major challenges in designing a turbofan combustor include achieving high combustion efficiency, minimizing emissions and noise, managing thermal stresses, and ensuring structural integrity. The design must also balance these factors while meeting strict weight and space limitations.

5. How is computational fluid dynamics (CFD) used in the design of a turbofan combustor?

CFD is a powerful tool used in the design of a turbofan combustor to simulate and analyze the complex flow and combustion processes. It helps to optimize the design by predicting important parameters such as temperature distribution, pressure drop, and heat transfer. CFD also allows for rapid iteration and evaluation of different design options to improve performance and efficiency.