Paying for Masters in Physics Secondary Ed.?

In summary, the speaker has been accepted into graduate programs in secondary education for physics and math. They are looking for ways to pay for their education, including scholarships and loan forgiveness programs. They also mention the possibility of getting a teaching or research assistantship to help cover costs. They express frustration with the lack of support from universities for education degrees and encourage the speaker to continue searching for opportunities.
WalterND14
Hi all,

I've applied and been accepted to graduate programs in secondary education in physics/math. I will have a B.S. in physics by May, so the graduate degree is to give me the credentials to be certified to teach. My question is, do any of you know of scholarships or other ways that I can pay for the graduate education?

While I'm totally happy with the fact that as a teacher I will likely not ever have lots of money, I also understand the math behind loans and don't want to dig too deep a hole...the programs I've applied to haven't been very helpful - most have said the aid aspect of things is the business of the financial aid department and not theirs. I've heard that some school districts will help you pay back the loan when you start teaching (even if you earned it before teaching) - can anyone confirm this? It seems to me for some odd reason there isn't much support from the actual universities for a masters of education degree, so I either grit my teeth and take the loans or find something else. Any help you all can provide would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
Most districts forgive some student loans (not sure amount) if you work there for 5 years. If you do a MS in Physics or Math or Math Physics and not Second Ed Phy/Math, you should get a TA or RA. That would cover generally 3 classes a semester, require grading or teaching or running a lab class or doing research but would then pay you about 1600 a month as well. Maybe you can look in the Second Ed options if you want to paid to show up. Plus, you can still teach with that degree as well.

Hi there,

Congratulations on being accepted into graduate programs in secondary education! That's a great accomplishment. As for paying for your graduate education, have you looked into any scholarships specifically for education or STEM fields? Many organizations offer scholarships for graduate students pursuing careers in teaching or science-related fields. It's worth doing some research and applying for any that you qualify for.

In terms of loans, it's definitely important to be mindful of the amount you borrow and the repayment terms. Have you considered looking into federal student loans, which typically have lower interest rates and more flexible repayment options? Also, some school districts do offer loan forgiveness programs for teachers, so it's worth looking into that as well.

I agree with you that it's unfortunate that there isn't more support from universities for a masters in education degree. It's definitely a valuable and important field, and it would be great to see more financial support for those pursuing it. In the meantime, I wish you the best of luck in finding ways to finance your education. Don't give up, and keep searching for opportunities! Best of luck to you.

1. How much does a Masters in Physics Secondary Ed. typically cost?

The cost of a Masters in Physics Secondary Ed. can vary depending on the institution and program. On average, it can cost anywhere from $20,000 to $50,000 per year for tuition, fees, and living expenses.

2. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for a Masters in Physics Secondary Ed.?

Yes, there are several scholarships and financial aid options available for students pursuing a Masters in Physics Secondary Ed. These can include merit-based scholarships, need-based grants, and loans. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on.

3. How long does it take to complete a Masters in Physics Secondary Ed. program?

The length of a Masters in Physics Secondary Ed. program can vary, but on average it takes about 2-3 years to complete. This can also depend on whether the program is full-time or part-time and if any prerequisite courses are required.

4. Can I work while completing a Masters in Physics Secondary Ed. program?

Yes, many students are able to work while completing their Masters in Physics Secondary Ed. program. However, it is important to balance your workload and prioritize your studies to ensure success in the program.

5. What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Physics Secondary Ed. degree?

With a Masters in Physics Secondary Ed. degree, you can pursue a career as a secondary school physics teacher, curriculum developer, educational consultant, or instructional coordinator. This degree can also open up opportunities for further education, such as a PhD in Education or Physics.