Fierz Identity Question: Understanding the Transformation and Matrices

• Thread starter Einj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary: That is why the minus sign is present in the Fierz transformation.In summary, the Fierz identities state that for certain quantities defined by S, V, T, A, and P, the combination of VV+AA is equal to -VV-AA with exchanged indices. However, there is often a discrepancy over whether the minus sign should be included in the Fierz transformation, with some sources including it and others not. This is due to the anticommunication of the ψ's in the transformation, resulting in the need for the extra minus sign.
Einj
Hi everyone, I have a doubt on Fierz identities. If we define the following quantities: [itex] S=1,\; V=\gamma_\mu,\; T=\sigma_{\mu\nu},\; A=\gamma_\mu\gamma_5,\;P=\gamma_5[/itex], then we have the identity:

$$
(\Gamma_i)_{\alpha\beta}(\Gamma_i)_{\gamma\xi}=\sum_j F_{ij}(\Gamma_j)_{\alpha\xi}(\Gamma_j)_{\gamma\beta},
$$
where [itex]\Gamma_i[/itex] are the matrices define before. Moreover:
$$
F_{ij}=\frac{1}{8}\left(\begin{array}{ccccc}
2 & 2 & 1 & -2 & -2 \\
8&-4&0&-4&-8 \\
24&0&-4&0&24 \\
-8&-4&0&-4&8 \\
2&-2&1&2&2
\end{array}\right)
$$
Therefore, if we take the VV+AA combination it turns out that [itex]VV+AA=-VV-AA[/itex] with exchanged indices.

However I usually read the Fierz transformation to be:
$$
(\psi_1\Gamma P_L\psi_2)(\psi_3\Gamma P_L\psi_4)=(\psi_1\Gamma P_L\psi_4)(\psi_3\Gamma P_L\psi_2).
$$

Without any minus sign. Does anyone knows why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einj said:
Hi everyone, I have a doubt on Fierz identities. If we define the following quantities: [itex] S=1,\; V=\gamma_\mu,\; T=\sigma_{\mu\nu},\; A=\gamma_\mu\gamma_5,\;P=\gamma_5[/itex], then we have the identity:

$$
(\Gamma_i)_{\alpha\beta}(\Gamma_i)_{\gamma\xi}=\sum_j F_{ij}(\Gamma_j)_{\alpha\xi}(\Gamma_j)_{\gamma\beta},
$$
where [itex]\Gamma_i[/itex] are the matrices define before. Moreover:
$$
F_{ij}=\frac{1}{8}\left(\begin{array}{ccccc}
2 & 2 & 1 & -2 & -2 \\
8&-4&0&-4&-8 \\
24&0&-4&0&24 \\
-8&-4&0&-4&8 \\
2&-2&1&2&2
\end{array}\right)
$$
Therefore, if we take the VV+AA combination it turns out that [itex]VV+AA=-VV-AA[/itex] with exchanged indices.
However I usually read the Fierz transformation to be:
$$
(\psi_1\Gamma P_L\psi_2)(\psi_3\Gamma P_L\psi_4)=(\psi_1\Gamma P_L\psi_4)(\psi_3\Gamma P_L\psi_2).
$$
Without any minus sign. Does anyone knows why?
Because the ψ's anticommute? I think it matters whether you just give the relation between matrices, as Wikipedia does, or include the ψ's. Both of these references give the table for Fij including the ψ's, with the opposite sign.
http://hep-www.px.tsukuba.ac.jp/~yuji/mdoc/fierzTrans.pdf
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9783527648887.app5/pdf

Likes 1 person
I think you are right. Once we write the identity for the matrices then we need to switch the two field and this should give an extra minus sign.

1. What is the Fierz identity?

The Fierz identity is a mathematical relationship between two spinors, which are mathematical objects that describe the spin of a particle. It is commonly used in quantum field theory and has important applications in particle physics.

2. Who first discovered the Fierz identity?

The Fierz identity was first discovered by the Swiss physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1939 while studying the properties of spinors and their relationship to quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the Fierz identity?

The Fierz identity is significant because it allows for the simplification of complicated equations in quantum field theory, making calculations and predictions more manageable. It also helps to unify different types of particles and interactions.

4. Can the Fierz identity be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Fierz identity can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, it has been generalized to higher dimensions in various ways and is an active area of research in theoretical physics.

5. How is the Fierz identity used in particle physics?

The Fierz identity is used in particle physics to study the properties and interactions of elementary particles. It is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons and quarks.