Feynman diagram for radiative transition

In summary, the conversation is about drawing a Feynman diagram for ψ' to χ_{c} states, specifically an electromagnetic transition. The speaker is considering having a c and \bar{c} coming in and a γ leaving from one of the legs, but is unsure if this is the correct representation. Another person explains that the diagram must include as many photons as there are in the final state, and notes that Feynman diagrams for electromagnetic decay of hadrons are limited in capturing the full complexity of the process.
kuecken
Hi,
I was just trying to draw a Feynman diagram for ψ' to [itex]χ_{c}[/itex] states.
So we have a electromagnetic transition.

I feel tempted to just have c and [itex]\bar{c}[/itex] coming in and letting a γ leave from one of the legs. But that looks like an incomplete Feynman diagram to me. Maybe I have to get two photons out?

Can someone help me with this please!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need as many photons as there are photons in the final state. Feynman diagrams for electromagnetic decay of hadrons are a bit boring, as the interesting part happens in the QCD binding which you cannot include in that way.

1. What is a Feynman diagram for radiative transition?

A Feynman diagram for radiative transition is a graphical representation of the interactions between particles during a transition from one energy state to another. It is used in quantum field theory to describe the emission or absorption of particles, such as photons, by an atom or molecule.

2. How is a Feynman diagram for radiative transition useful?

A Feynman diagram for radiative transition allows scientists to visualize and calculate the probability of a particular transition occurring. It also helps in understanding the underlying physical processes involved in radiative transitions.

3. What do the lines and vertices in a Feynman diagram for radiative transition represent?

The lines in a Feynman diagram represent the paths of particles, such as electrons or photons. The vertices represent the interactions between these particles, which can involve the emission or absorption of a photon.

4. Can a Feynman diagram for radiative transition be used for all types of transitions?

No, Feynman diagrams for radiative transitions are specifically used for transitions involving the emission or absorption of photons. Other types of transitions, such as those involving the exchange of particles, require different types of Feynman diagrams.

5. How do scientists use Feynman diagrams for radiative transition in their research?

Scientists use Feynman diagrams for radiative transition in their research to study the properties of atoms and molecules, as well as to make predictions about the behavior of particles in different physical systems. These diagrams are also used in the development of new technologies, such as lasers and advanced materials.