Pump drive torque measurement problem

In summary, the speaker is seeking help on how to measure the torque required for a plunger pump that operates with an eccentric cam. They are concerned about the added weight and torque of the couplings and are wondering how to calculate the resistive torque of the couplings so it can be subtracted from the overall torque readings. They mention that the motor runs at a fixed speed and therefore the couplings should not require a cyclic torque unless there is rotational slack. They request assistance with this issue.
daveydude_99
Hi all!

Basically I will soon be required to measure the torque required to drive a plunger pump which operates by an eccentric cam on the pump's driveshaft pushing a plunger up and down. So obviously the torque will vary through the driveshaft's revolution.
The setup is as follows: Motor - couplings - torque transducer - couplings - pump.
The problem I have is that the couplings are fairly heavy and obviously themselves require torque to be driven round with the pump, and the information I want is the PUMP's drive torque, not the pump plus couplings. The couplings are all symettrical so their drive torque shouldn't vary through the revolution of the driveshaft, and the transducer doesn't offer too much resistance. I have or can obtain the rotational inertia for each coupling, I am just wondering how I translate this inertia into a resistive torque so I can subtract this number from the torque readings I obtain. The torque will be measured at a set of constant rotational velocities.

Any help that I receive will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the motor runs at a fixed speed then the couplings will not be changing speed and so there will be no torque needed to cyclically accelerate and decelerate them. Only when there is some rotational slack in the couplings will a cyclic torque be required to rotate the couplings.

1. What is pump drive torque measurement?

Pump drive torque measurement is the process of determining the amount of torque, or rotational force, required to operate a pump. This measurement is important for understanding the efficiency and performance of a pump, as well as for troubleshooting any potential issues.

2. Why is pump drive torque measurement important?

Pump drive torque measurement is important because it provides valuable information about the performance and efficiency of a pump. By measuring the torque, we can determine how much energy is required to operate the pump and identify any potential issues that may be affecting its performance.

3. How is pump drive torque measured?

Pump drive torque is typically measured using a torque sensor, which is a device that can accurately measure the amount of rotational force being applied. The sensor is usually placed between the pump and the motor, and it can provide real-time data on the torque being generated.

4. What are some common problems with pump drive torque measurement?

One common problem with pump drive torque measurement is inaccurate readings due to external factors such as vibrations, temperature changes, or electrical noise. Another issue could be incorrect placement of the torque sensor, resulting in incorrect measurements.

5. How can pump drive torque measurement problems be solved?

To solve pump drive torque measurement problems, it is important to use high-quality torque sensors and properly calibrate them. It is also crucial to ensure that the sensor is correctly placed and that external factors are minimized. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help identify and solve any issues that may arise.