Car on Banked curve problem

In summary, the conversation involves finding the minimum speed a car can have before sliding down a banked curve with a given angle and radius. The coefficient of static friction and kinetic friction are also given. The solution involves using equations of equilibrium and resolving forces into x and y components. The initial attempt used incorrect notation and trigonometric functions, but after correcting the errors, the correct solution was obtained.
Swatch
A car is turning on a banked curve. The coefficient static friction between the car and the pavement is 0.30 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25.
The angle of the banking is 25 degrees, and the radius of the curve is 50 m. What is the minimum speed the car can have before sliding down the banking. I have found the maximum speed the car can have without sliding up the banking.

For the sliding up the bank I did this:

b=angle
s= coefficient of static friction

Fx = n*sin (b) + sin (b)*n*s = ma

Fy = n*cos (b) - mg - cos(b)*n*s = 0

So this is when the car is in equlibrium.

From this I find the acceleration and then the speed

I haven't figured out a relation between the speed and movement down the banking. I tried to resolve the weight vector into components together with the friction but I didn't get anywhere with that. The weight has some part in this I know. I'm just really lost. Could someone please give me a hint to this problem. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given but I don't see I have to use it.

With thanks,
Swatch

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
max frictional force can be ::
[tex] f = \mu N [/tex]

Last edited:
Swatch said:
A car is turning on a banked curve. The coefficient static friction between the car and the pavement is 0.30 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25.
The angle of the banking is 25 degrees, and the radius of the curve is 50 m. What is the minimum speed the car can have before sliding down the banking. I have found the maximum speed the car can have without sliding up the banking.

For the sliding up the bank I did this:

b=angle
fs=static friction

Fx = n*sin (b) + sin (b)*n*fs = ma

Fy = n*cos (b) - mg - cos(b)*n*fs = 0

So this is when the car is in equlibrium.

From this I find the acceleration and then the speed

I haven't figured out a relation between the speed and movement down the banking. I tried to resolve the weight vector into components together with the friction but I didn't get anywhere with that. The weight has some part in this I know. I'm just really lost. Could someone please give me a hint to this problem. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given but I don't see I have to use it.

With thanks,
Swatch

Your notation needs to be clarified. fs usually means the force of friction. If that is how you mean it, then you should not have products of n*fs in your equations. If you mean fs is the coefficient of static friction, you should state that.

Your sines and cosines do not look correct. The minimum speed will be a condition where static friction is helping to keep the car from sliding down the incline, so the friction force on the car will be up the plane, proportional to the normal force acting on the car. Since the friction and the normal forces are perpendicular, you are not going to have just sines in the x equation or just cosines in the y equation.

Draw a diagram showing the forces acting on the car including weight, normal force, and frictional force. Assume the frictional force is maximum (because you are looking for the minimum speed) and write the friction force in terms of the normal force and the coefficient of friction. Resolve the three forces into x and y components, and try writing your equations again.

I know my first post wasn't to clear. The work I displayed was for the question "What is the maximum speed before the car starts to slide up the banking" in that case the frictional force is pointed down the slope and I get only sine in Fx and cos in Fy. In the case of the question "What is the minimum speed" I did the work again as you asked me to do OlderDan and I succesfully got the right answer. Then I got sine and cos in Fx.

Thanks.

Swatch said:
I know my first post wasn't to clear. The work I displayed was for the question "What is the maximum speed before the car starts to slide up the banking" in that case the frictional force is pointed down the slope and I get only sine in Fx and cos in Fy. In the case of the question "What is the minimum speed" I did the work again as you asked me to do OlderDan and I succesfully got the right answer. Then I got sine and cos in Fx.

Thanks.
Are you sure your first answer is correct? If your sines and cosines are all of the same angle, then you should have sines and cosines in both your x and y equations because the normal force and the frictional force are perpendicular in both problems.

Thanks OlderDan. Of course you're right. I got the angle all mixed up. But the funny thig is I got an answer that was pretty close to the right one. So I made the assumption that I was right, makes you wonder how many times you could be wrong. Thanks for the help.

What is a car on banked curve problem?

The car on banked curve problem is a physics problem that involves a car traveling on a curved track that is angled or banked at a certain angle. This problem is used to study the relationship between the speed of the car, the bank angle of the track, and the frictional force acting on the car.

How does the bank angle of the track affect the car on banked curve problem?

The bank angle of the track plays a crucial role in the car on banked curve problem. It determines the direction and magnitude of the normal force acting on the car, which helps the car maintain its circular motion and prevents it from slipping off the track.

What is the role of friction in the car on banked curve problem?

Friction is an important factor in the car on banked curve problem. It provides the necessary centripetal force that allows the car to move along the curved track. Without friction, the car would simply slide off the track due to the centrifugal force.

How does the speed of the car affect the car on banked curve problem?

The speed of the car is directly related to the centripetal force required to maintain the circular motion. As the speed increases, the centripetal force also increases, which means the bank angle of the track must also increase to maintain the necessary balance between the centripetal force and the normal force.

What real-life applications can be studied using the car on banked curve problem?

The car on banked curve problem has many real-life applications, including understanding the design of banked roads and race tracks, roller coasters, and the physics of turning while driving a car. It is also used in sports such as ice skating and skiing, where the curved surface of the ice or snow provides the necessary friction for the athlete to maintain their circular motion.