Table of fatigue strengths for different steels

Hence, the first value, 0\pm160, would mean the mean stress is 0 and the stress amplitude is 160. Similarly, the second value, 130\pm130, would mean the mean stress is 130 and the stress amplitude is 130. This information can help in understanding Smith-diagrams.In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of fatigue strength values for different steels, specifically for S235 under stretching/pressure. The values represent mean stress and stress amplitude for fatigue tests, which can aid in understanding Smith-diagrams.
TSN79
I'm looking at a table of fatigue strengths for different steels. I would like to know what the figures mean. For instance, for S235 under streching/pressure it says [tex]0\pm160[/tex] and [tex]130\pm130[/tex]. I believe the values are supposed to be average tension pluss/minus amplitude tension, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping someone can explain this to me, and so maybe I can understand the Smith-diagrams soon as well.

Engineering news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
I'm looking at a table of fatigue strengths for different steels. I would like to know what the figures mean. For instance, for S235 under streching/pressure it says [tex]0\pm160[/tex] and [tex]130\pm130[/tex]. I believe the values are supposed to be average tension pluss/minus amplitude tension, but I'm not sure.

Pretty much. The values will be mean stress (not tension), followed by the stress amplitude for the particular fatigue test used.

The figures in the table represent the average tension and amplitude tension for each steel under stretching or pressure. The first value, 0±160, indicates that the average tension is 0 and the amplitude tension can range from -160 to +160. The second value, 130±130, means that the average tension is 130 and the amplitude tension can range from 0 to 260. These values are important for understanding the fatigue strength of each steel, as they indicate the maximum amount of stress that the steel can withstand before it fails. The Smith-diagram is a graphical representation of these values and can help in determining the fatigue life of a particular steel in different loading conditions. I hope this helps in understanding the table and the Smith-diagram better.

What is a table of fatigue strengths for different steels?

A table of fatigue strengths for different steels is a reference tool that shows the maximum stress a particular type of steel can withstand before failing under repeated loading and unloading cycles.

Why is a table of fatigue strengths important?

A table of fatigue strengths is important because it helps engineers and designers determine the appropriate type of steel to use for a specific application, taking into account the expected loading conditions and the desired service life of the product.

What factors affect the fatigue strength of a steel?

The fatigue strength of a steel can be affected by various factors such as the chemical composition of the steel, its microstructure, surface finish, and any surface treatments or coatings applied to it. The loading conditions, temperature, and environmental conditions also play a role in determining the fatigue strength of a steel.

How is a table of fatigue strengths created?

A table of fatigue strengths is created through extensive laboratory testing, where different types of steel are subjected to various loading conditions and the number of cycles to failure is recorded. The results are then compiled and organized into a table for easy reference.

Can a table of fatigue strengths be used for all types of steels?

No, a table of fatigue strengths is specific to the type of steel being tested. Each steel has its own unique properties and characteristics that can affect its fatigue strength. Therefore, it is important to use the correct table for the specific type of steel being used.